Old 10-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #226
jumpfroggy

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy7890 View Post
This really sucks for Blackberry users.
So basically if we had a cheap Razr phone or anything else - we'd be able to get the data features for $5.99 which would let us use Opera and Google apps. But since we have Blackberries - they want us to pay $20 monthly!
This info need to be put on the front page as a worning to prospective buyers - it would of been a deal-breaker for me before I choose to buy a BBPearl!!!!
Exactly. From what I've seen, Blackberry devices are controlled by the Blackberry Server -- whether that's the one at your business, or the one by tmobile. They have control over your service books, which allow/disallow your internet/email/mms/sms/everything access. So whatever they say goes.

So my Treo worked on tmobile's tzones $6/mo plan, minus gmail and google maps (which they blocked), or on the $20/mo plan if I wanted that plus email. Every simple WAP phone (like the razr) can use the $6/mo plan for WAP. The blackberry can only use the $20/mo plan, nothing else. Really annoying, especially if you don't use it enough to justify the $20 plan (ie. not for business use), but want a few extras like directions and a webmail check every once in a while.

It's made me decide that there really is no getting away from it; phone companies and cell phone providers have control over your service and your device, and dictate how you can use them. I got my blackberry pearl cheap, but with the extra $20/mo over the $6/mo that's an extra $170 per year over a normal phone. I'm starting to be more and more convinced that the only real free phone is a really free phone, ie. OpenMoko. If they drop in price or include a few extras (gps, wifi?) then I'll probably spring for that and leave behind the "gated community" that is Blackberry service.

All that ranting aside, I love the blackberry pearl with internet/email, and were it not for the stupid limitations on service with WAP I'd probably stick with it for a long while.
Offline   Reply With Quote