Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #19
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107
Default Re: Rogers BlackBerry Bold 9900 Unboxing Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
I got one. Love it! I'm sticking with the Blackberry platform until I see what iMessage can do for me. Personally the combo of a Bold 9900 and an iPad is killer!

But the browser on this thing is JUNK. Seriously. It is painstaking to use it. It is a small improvement on OS6 or whatever it's called but that's like saying that a horse is better than a mule when everyone is cruising around on motorbikes!

Anyone know where to buy accessories for this bad boy in Toronto?

Thanks!
Hmm. Personally I've tested iMessage on iOS 5Beta ... not too impressed it gets the job done over WLAN but its still just basic SMS/MMS used on a different medium and works ONLY for iOS; is anyone else getting annoyed with platform specific enhancements that lock you in?!

Browser.
Mixed bag as some sites (howardforums) just do NOT load good or properly let alone quick enough. It IS faster and does render VERY well, the above quote about horses vs motorcycles is not even close to being accurate. ALL smartphone browsers use Webkit Engine so performance is very equal for 95% of the sites you encounter UNLESS a specific augmentation to the HTML code satisfy's a browser from one platform versus another. An Example of this is the Apple Store Genius Concierge link in email whenever you have an appointment and you wish to reschedule. On BB5 I never could enter in any data such as name/email address, etc. On BB6 I had to endlessly scroll, zoom and continue to try before I could enter just my first name. On BB7 Browser you must zoom in and then tap into the field for a chance to enter data in but at least it works; so their is promise. If you don't get while Apple continues to lure users its because their platform is unified and continues to grow from the basis of a computer into a smartphone, not vice versa; and thus the browser is the pinnacle of prowess on iOS, Android with Flash topping it. Unfortunately rendering html emails using the BB6/7 browser still renders these types of emails incorrectly, text being jumbled together where you need to zoom in to correctly be able to read it.

I'm keeping for the next 30 days just to see what serves me better. I'll also be keeping a close eye on QNX for smartphones to see if 9900 is upgradable to it - RIM will piss-off a LOT of users and also corporate users if a new QNX based smartphone is launched in less than 12mths of the 9900's release. People pay their hard earned dollars for smartphones, more for the applications that are used by them. Contracts last 2-3yrs in western markets, although smartphones last only 1yr under warranty. If manufacturers continue to upgrade firmware to support devices they've released 12mths or more it would be nice to include new platform firmware should the hardware be supported. The trick to continue increasing sales is to add more value and incentive to upgrade the hardware, and thus the software, to end users while also supporting slightly older/current hardware for those just not ready/able to upgrade - limit some features.

example iPhone 3GS vs iPhone 4 or Bold 9780 vs 9900
Better Camera (pictures/videos), better screen (size, pixels, clarity, and touch on the 9900), newer hardware design (9900 gets NFC and dual-band wifi in 2.4/5ghz like the iPhone 4/3GS), and better software features ... unfortunately BB OS 7 doesn't really do this. Take away NFC or any other hardware features its essentially still a BlackBerry ... EVERYTHING is still the same and obtainable on much cheaper hardware. Why doesn't RIM also add the ability to view other mailboxes, other calendars (from exchange), etc that many delegates require?

This is echo'd throughout the web that the Bold 9900 has the BEST keyboard of ANY smartphone - hardware based. Unfortunately its noisy "pop" sound per each key press negates your ability to type emails/notes/web urls etc during a board room meeting - its annoying enough for you to be frowned upon from anyone hosting.