Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
stac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Hi,

Anyone getting the new Apple iPhone just for its PDA functions?
I'm not interested in iPhone/iPod -- I'm deaf.

It's a fullfledged ultraportable MacOS X machine with 4 gigabytes, with WiFi, Bluetooth, and bonus data - and it probably is even programmable enoguh to work through external Bluetooth data sources (such as my BlackBerry).

And for once, multitouch technology finally lets me use a stylus (optional) on the touchscreen while resting my wrist on the screen -- that never works on an iPaq. (Even though I have a BlackBerry, I have an iPaq too as well for use as an electronic notepad -- this Apple PDA appears to totally blow away an iPaq). Could easily be a great notepad for the deaf.

And without using a cellphone plan, I can juse the Apple PDA using an external WiFi or Bluetooth data connection instead -- with the best handheld web browser in its form factor (just drag finger to scroll, and pinch two fingers in/out to zoom in/out to magnify -- easy!). And the screen is a very high resolution 360x480 pixel screen -- one of the highest resolutions in this form factor. Looks like it can be a great photo viewer, great video player, snazzy UI, full UNIX programmability, etc, etc.
Mark, I'm with you on this... though I'm not deaf (thankfully)... I DESIRE this... ever since my Newton hit the road on me, I've been waiting for this device... and the implementation seems flawless... OMG. I had trouble breathing when I saw it. I was prepared for a phone and music player, not an OSX experience like the one I saw. I'm floored, and I'll be $600 poorer in just a few months, but drooling like a little baby at the same time.

-Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'