eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Not receiving text messages from web sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Upfront, see my earlier post just now. I would hold off on reloading the OS.

Now, it's been a long time for me since I worked with legacy BlackBerry devices. Is the Media Options you mention in the backup options, or is it a separate setting for media sync? If it is not part of the backup settings, I would ignore it for now. See if backup will run and complete. If it doesn't, or errors out, don't be surprised, given the changes since and the fact that support was stopped a long time ago. But if you can do a backup, then do it, and repeat regularly while you figure out what you are going to do.

As far as I recall, the backup (if it runs and completes) will backup all data and settings locally on the device. After you reload the OS you may have to reinstall apps, and the apps will download whatever they download after an app is installed. The app settings you previously set will probably be backed up and then restored when you restore. My memory is the devices was like before after a restore.

To be clear on a point, the meaning of a clean OS reload has to do with testing after the OS reloaded before you do anything else, in case whatever problem is reintroduced when the backup is restored. If the problem doesn't occur when clean, but reappears after the restore, then the conclusion is the problem is in data or a setting that was on the device beforehand.

If you go this far, the desktop software should give you the latest OS released by the carrier. If you installed an OS released by another carrier, then it may be older or newer than what the desktop software presents to you.

Anyway, as I say, I would do the backup, if possible, but hold off on the OS reload. Give you carrier's customer service another try, and ask if you have any blocks enabled on your line. Bring up short codes. And mention the companies that you have requested send you SMS.
I am pretty sure that the OS on my Torch 9810 is released by Blackberry, not the carrier AT&T. Can I really be wrong about this ? Would AT&T have actually released an OS version for my Blackberry 9810 ?
Offline   Reply With Quote