View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: BBM or Whatsapp?

I was here. I just didn't really have anything to say. Only I came upon that blog post in my feed and remembered this thread.

I led with acknowledgment that the blog is biased. I don't doubt it's a hatchet job. But even hatchet jobs have grains of truth.

When WhatsApp made its announcement, people came out of nowhere on the forums asking if BBM is secure and if it has end-to-end encryption when they are in fact clueless about security. Also sites were publishing "news" that was inaccurate the first time it was published years ago and no longer relevant today.

End-to-end encryption is fine, but it's one measure. The security of the content of your communication in transit is one thing, but what about the metadata? Do you take measures to prevent disclosure of your metadata? And what about the security of your data at rest on all of your devices as well as your data online? Someone more knowledgeable than me could go on and on and on. End-to-end encryption is one piece of the larger solution. (And I read that you get that. Just filling out the larger point.)

There is some truth in WhatsApp's marketing, and some truth at that fan site. The trick is knowing.

By the way, just curious, on those settings, what are the defaults? I wonder of the typical user who doesn't look at settings is going to share everything, or must the user be aware and know to turn off sharing?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-26-2016 at 08:37 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote