View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #19
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I respect your right to have your own beliefs about religion or lack thereof, but it appears to me you don't give others that respect if they disagree with you.
Has nothing to do with respect. If you walk into a medical practice with a gangrene infected arm and claim that god has given you the "stigmata" to suffer for all humanity the medical professional would have to ignore your "beliefs" and try to save your delusional ass. You may of course find that highly disrespectful that he doesn't recognise your one god and saviour and doesn't participate with you celebrating the revelation of the uber being, but although he's in full knowledge that the gene pool is going to suffer your future contributions, he still has to keep you alive. You know why? Because he's a scientist and can exercise rational thinking.

If you walk into a church and present the same arm and claim again suspected theistic interaction they would start singing "praise the lord".

I hope with all my heart that if someone you care about comes to you with a "divine revelation" you take them through a hospital door and not a congregation.
Offline   Reply With Quote