View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 AM   #18
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND
Default Re: BBM going xplatform [iOS and Android]

When I first tested a z10, I had to sign in with my BBID. I was using a 9900 at the time, so I had to do a device switch (move all my information to the z) and after using it for a week or so, I had to change back. My BBM contacts were sent to my current device both times. Since November of 2012 and with the release of their latest version of BBM, contact info is tied to our BBID.

I have never used Berry Suite, so I only have experience with backing up my list to my sdCard or using one of my connected mail accounts to back up BBM contact information. It was hit or miss, sometimes information would be sent over without me having to do anything, and other times I would have to prompt it. Every now and again I would have to build up my list from scratch. (I have a lot of contacts)

Is it any less/more secure? Yeah, I mean, it's less secure than having your information on an sdCard. It is certainly more reliable imo. It's a trade off - convenience vs security. Sure, we're only talking about BBM contact information, but it does show that for some things at least, the cloud can be useful. Especially for keeping track of any information that changes constantly.