View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #5
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t

jprincipe (and anyone else who might be interested), looks like things are going to work out by end of day. (perhaps overly inclusive) back and forth with my webmaster friend charles below describes apparent fix for my situation (linksys firmware upgrade):

THANK you charles. i went ahead and stopped by your house after breakfast and 8820 associated to your linksys WRT54GX with wep encryption just fine. i disabled cingular's EDGE network and managed to send and receive firm and nonfirm email on 8820 over the [home] secured wifi profile! i could also browse websites. (as an additional test, i went by barnes & nobles and tested the 8820 over an att wifi hotspot using my sbc/yahoo! credentials; i made a link there too and piddled between chomping on cheesecake for about an hour.) i am unsure whether web browsing was slowed down some by having both EDGE and wifi active, but i'll test that more to be sure. (i am reasonably sure i could not look up [firm personnel] from outlook's GAL with just wifi active, but i'll learn the traps there later...)

charles, thank you so much. susan may want to do dinner at snuffers (and [you and your family are] invited to join for your belated birthday!) but other than that we should be home all afternoon and evening. let me know when you want us to be home for you to come upgrade the firmware on my linksys WRT54GX here at the house. see you soon! i guess once we get me working wifi on 8820 here at house, i can call or email rim/blackberry to close their ticket.

richard, i left you a voice message too, and i have already spoken with [out of town mother in-law] about this (she said fine, just call), but i'd appreciate very much if i could get on your schedule again and you could call [inlaws], look at my linksys WRT54GX there, touch base with charles if necessary, and then make sure the firmware for my linksys WRT54GX there at the durrs is as up-to-date as charles is making us here in dallas! (and just email me an invoice.) if you need charles's cell let me know. thx much

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:55 AM
To: [btaylor1]
Subject: Re: New linksys

Mine is a WRT54GX v 1.0 and I think it is still the same as yours.
The original firmware was 1.00.13 which I have now upgraded to latest - 1.02.15
We will have church 'til noon and then lunch and [son] has Lacrosse from 2-3:30.
I should be home after that.
I have pretty good range here so if you want to just stop by out front, feel free to try and make the WIFI link there. If that works, I can stop by and do the firmware upgrade on yours at your home later in the day.

[btaylor1] wrote:

Isn't yours same as ours? If there is an appropriate available upgrade, what if you upgraded yours, then I could come over with my box, test 8820 wifi assn again, and if it works take home your box and leave you mine to upgrade when you might feel like it. Or you could just upgraded mine and I could take back home. Of course you may have wasted all the time you can spare on my family this weekend! Signing off, [daughter] a little under weather now

Last edited by btaylor1; 09-23-2007 at 01:38 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote