View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
writerNYC

Model: 9850
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Latest OS: 9850 7.1.0.457/7.1.0.163 (All Languages)

New board user here. I upgraded the operating system on my new Torch 9850 from 7.0 to 7.1. I decided to use the Blackberry Desktop Manager. All went okay at first but I suddenly got a message “driver did not install properly… device unplugged.” This was surprising, since the device was well plugged in.

I clicked away the message and the install continued along to “loading system software” and “loading application modules.” But it got hung up on the reboot section that says “Connecting to device (might take up to 30 minutes).” After about 15 minutes the cell phone came alive, asking me to turn on wifi (which I did), and even showing a video describing the BB operations. I waited a whole 60 minutes with no action. The green bar had stopped about 4/5 of the way across, maintaining its ongoing motion effect. So I unplugged the cell phone from the desktop. The latter had become frozen so I rebooted. Because the installation never got to the “reload” part I just synced contacts, etc. over from the desktop.

Phone seems to be working all right. Version is 7.1 Bundle 457 (c7.1.0.163). when I click “Check for Updates” I get “Your Blackberry is up to date.”

Is there any chance that the install is not complete? Should I install again or just keep it as is? I am looking forward to using the phone overseas so I am hoping that part of the OS got installed correctly.

Also, any ideas why the installation froze? Could having Norton 360 running in the background have caused it?

I have just noticed the instructions in the first message of this thread, about a suggested method for installing which includes downloading the OS file and removing a vendor.xml file. Is that a more reliable method than using the BB Desktop Manager? If so, why?

Thanks for all of the assistance everyone is providing on this board.
Offline   Reply With Quote