View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: BlackBerry PlayBook is ‘dead on arrival’, analyst claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggy View Post
I've always been a huge BlackBerry fan and was very anxious to get my hands on a PlayBook. But...

I attented a session of RIM on the PlayBook at Lotusphere last week and I must say I was quite disappointed. Yes, the hardware is absolutely fabulous. Yes, the QNX OS is very fast, solid and stable. But I think RIM has missed the opportunity here to take a huge lead on competition. You would expect to be able to browse the internet on the PlayBook, using the paired BlackBerry. Or have some kind of a company policy or control on the device. Seems RIM has chosen the launch date over the actual usability and functions of the device. So, IMHO, the PlayBook is a multimedia device, to be used on WiFi and with the extra that you can read your corporate mails on a bigger screen. Nothing less, but also nothing more than that. Can't wait till we get the PlayBook v2 with 4G...
Yep...you would think you could use it with a paired BB. That was my initial impression until proven wrong at CES. I think they should release a BB Smartphone unit in the future similar to the idea of the iPhone 4 (for Verizon only) which will incorporate a built in Wi-Fi hot spot. I believe the new iPhone for Verizon will handle up to 5 devices. I'm sure down the road this will all be sorted out but you would have thought they may have had some better foresight before releasing this thing.
Offline   Reply With Quote