View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Vegas33139

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
So...you have been sending Spam... Nice. When the marketing companys find this can you imagine the number of messages that they will send,uncontrolled......

Info on Cell Broadcast

Cell Broadcast (CB) messaging is a mobile technology feature defined by the ETSI’s GSM committee and is part of the GSM standard. It is also known as Short Message Service - Cell Broadcast (SMS-CB). Cell Broadcast is designed for simultaneous delivery of messages to multiple users in a specified area. Whereas the Short Message Service - Point to Point (SMS-PP) is a one-to-one and one-to-a-few service, Cell Broadcast is a one-to-many geographically focused messaging service. Cell Broadcast messaging is also supported by UMTS, as defined by 3GPP.

Cell Broadcast messaging was technologically demonstrated in Paris for the first time, in 1997. Some mobile operators use Cell Broadcast for communicating the area code of the antenna cell to the mobile user (via channel 050), for nationwide or citywide alerting, weather reports, mass messaging, location based news, etc. Not all operators have the Cell Broadcast messaging function activated in their network yet, and many handsets do not have the capability to support cell broadcast.

Cell Broadcast is a technology that allows a text or binary message to be defined and distributed to all mobile terminals connected to a set of cells. Whereas SMS messages are sent point-to-point, Cell Broadcast messages are sent point-to-area. This means that one Cell Broadcast message can reach a huge number of terminalsa at once. In other words, Cell Broadcast messages are directed to radio cells, rather than to a specific terminal. A Cell Broadcast message is an unconfirmed push service, meaning that the originator of the message does not know who has received the message, allowing for services based on anonymity. Mobile telephone user manuals describe how the user can switch the receiving of Cell Broadcast messages on or off.

Cell Broadcast messaging has a number of features that make it particularly appropriate for emergency purposes:

It is not as affected by traffic load; therefore, it may be usable during a disaster when load spikes tend to crash networks, as the 7 July 2005 London bombings showed. Another example was during the Tsunami catastrophe in Asia. Dialog GSM, an operator in Sri Lanka was able to provide ongoing emergency information to its subscribers, to warn of incoming waves, to give news updates, to direct people to supply and distribution centres, and even to arrange donation collections using Celltick's Cell Broadcast Center, based on Cell Broadcast Technology.
Cell broadcast is widely deployed since year 2008. In Europe, most handsets do have cell broadcast capability, and the major European operators have deployed the technology in their networks.

Cell Broadcast is a mobile technology that allows messages (up to 15 pages of up to 93 characters) to be broadcast to all mobile handsets and similar devices within a designated geographical area. The broadcast range can be varied, from a single cell to the entire network.
Before you shoot your fat mouth off, I have/had absolutely no idea what the hell cell broadcast is/was.

I merely went through every concievable menu turning it on and off to see if it recitified my problem. I stumbled across this bloody cell broadcast thing, turned it off and hey presto!! my problem disappeared.

Is that ok with you like?