View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Joe Paterno a scapegoat?

Please Login to Remove!

As a resident of Pennsylvania, and pretty close to State College, this entire episode hits pretty hard. I do agree that Joe Paterno should have done more, I agree that he is guilty for not doing more, and his firing was warranted. I understand the reasoning of taking his statue and also, while harsh, taking away all of his wins since 1998. Not taking away all the good he has done for the community or the university, he made some bad decisions in favor of a friend and a football program. He put them before the safety and well being of children.

However, a name you're not hearing too much about is Tom Corbett. Corbett is the current Governor of Pennsylvania. Prior to becoming Governor, Corbett was the Attorney General. He knew of the accusations against Sandusky, and stated he was shocked, and would look into it. He did launch an investigation, with one agent (possibly two). The agents were narcotic agents, not agents who deal with child sexual abuse cases. Sandusky was not arrested while the investigation was taking place. He could have been arrested and then posted bail. If this would have happened, the media would have picked up on the story and Sandusky would have been under a microscope. However, that never happened.

Also, the Second Mile was under investigation by Corbett in 2008, but Corbett received a $25,000 campaign contribution in 2010 from Second Mile. He didn't return this contribution because, in his words, "it would've tipped off The Second Mile that its founder was being investigated for alleged child sex abuse." The timing doesn't make sense.

Corbett was also on the Penn State Board of Trustees, he was responsible for the firing of Joe Paterno, yet he suffered no consequences, when he was able to do more than Joe Paterno could have. Paterno put a football program before the safety and well being of children, while Corbett put campaigning before the safety and well being of children

Still to this day, no one is talking about Tom Corbett. He still has free reign as Governor of Pennsylvania. Joe Paterno was fired for not doing more than just passing someone else's account of Sandusky's alleged impropriety to his superiors. He lost his statue and wins since 1998, yet Corbett, by his clear conflict of interest, has done far worse. Corbett should resign now, but the media is turning a blind eye to him and what he has done, or lack of what he has done.

Your thoughts?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 07-23-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote