View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #32
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxic8ed View Post
i have read that there were more recent versions available.
Looking at the torrent comments for the one you replied to in there, there's quite a few newer builds of OS 4.3.1 than it. That one was Release 36. The latest I've seen are Release 59. That's roughly 2.5 months of builds between those versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoxic8ed View Post
And whoever said they spoke to an AT&T rep who gave them an estimate to a release date.... What store do you go to?? Cause everybody who works in my local AT&T stores rode the short bus as a kid. They know nothing about anything related to OS upgrades firmware upgrades...etc. I was even told that upgrading my OS would void my warranty. WTF?
The person who spoke to an AT&T representative would have spoken to someone, likely a technical engineer directly or one by way of their corporate account manager, rather than some nitwit in a store who has little to no information. Store personnel typically get information a) from internet forums such as BBF, b) internal training material (usually released very close to actual retail date), or c) internal computer systems (such as the case with SKU numbers for pre-releases; typically input a couple weeks prior to actual release for billing purposes). I would think it rare that store personnel, with the exception of very few who have connections back to a main office, would have any useful information further than 2-3 weeks prior to release date. That number may even be pushing it. With the phone representatives, they are generally outsourced and have hardly any knowledge or information on products they take calls on (I used to work for a company that had an umbrella company who did Tier 1 support and telemarketing for AT&T) - there is typically a small window for training and it's not all that great (exception being an iPhone, although many had never even seen an iPhone even after it's release).