View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #36
coastuser

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
To be fair, if there is an issue, I'd be interesting in hearing about the particulars of the handheld and messaging environment. Without the installation of a third-party application on to the device that can be used to remotely exploit, I honestly don't see an 'intercept and manipulate' mechanism as being possible. There's simply too much encryption involved, both on the device, on the infrastructure (at RIM) and in the transport itself.

I'd be interested in hearing more, although there's more than enough reasons for skepticism. I personally don't think the BlackBerry solution is 100% secure - it'd be sheepish to think so - however, there's not many reasons to doubt the integrity of the solution... at this point, that is. We've all seen that it's possible (calendar buffer overflow, installed third-party hijack, etc), but these efforts were minimal exposure and have since been patched by RIM.
Thank you for this reasoned response. I know it is being investigated by RIM and not being dismissed out of hand for which we are very grateful. They are handling it in a very responsible manner so far. They are still working through the particulars and the potential paths. I am not savvy technically so do not know what a third party application actually means. If you explain it in lay terms, I can respond. I only know what happened and am trying to figure out how. I always use my BB and have felt entirely secure. But now have to deal with this.
Offline   Reply With Quote