View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #53
grantpant

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default can you help me connect via bluetooth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antineutrino View Post
I have searched thru this forum and read a whole bunch of threads on how to set up BB tethering and most of them are very informative. But all the threads I read said that it is not possible to set up bb as a bluetooth modem yet (maybe they were old?)

* I apologize if there is another thread on this, i just could not find one *

Anyway, it is possible. I'll try to explain how.

1. First, set up pairing between your PC (or laptop) and your BB:
Right-click on the bluetooth icon on the taskbar->Open Bluetooth settings->Add...->read instructions and set up a password if you want.
Then look at your phone, it should ask you if you allow this connections, (and for the password.)

2. Make sure you have the latest BlackBerry Desktop Manager (4.2 SP1 as of the time this was written.)
Start it up, go to options -> connection settings, check "Enable bluetooth support," click on configure bluetooth -> add... and add your device.
Then click ok, make sure your phone has bluetooth on.
Your desktop manager should be now "connected" with the BB.

3. Go back to the windows bluetooth settings (step 1.)
Select the device, click Properties -> Services and put a checkmark on "Dial-Up Networking." Windows should be installing the drivers for the BT modem now automatically.

4. Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Phone and Modem options -> Modems, select the Bluetooth modem, click on Properties, then click on "Change settings", wait for the annoying popup, click Allow. Go to Advanced and put this in the field:

** Provider specific from here on ***

+cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" (for T-Mobile. Please search other threads for different providers)

5. Set up a Dial-up connection. Go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Set up a connection or a network - > Set up a dial-up connection.
Use "Standard modem over Bluetooth link." Phone # for T-mobile is *99#
Username/password are empty.

6. Go back to Control panel -> network and sharing center. Click on "Manage network connections" and right-click->properties on the one that you just created. Click on the modem -> Configure -> Uncheck "Enable hardware flow control" and uncheck "Enable speaker." Click ok.
Go to "Networking Tab", select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click on Properties->Advanced and uncheck "Use IP Header Compression"

7. Dial and it should work.

I'm sorry for the format of the how-to but if you are reading this, you have probably tried doing this thing a few times.
I'll try it under linux this weekend. I hope i get some results.

If you have any questions, reply to this thread, I'll be glad to help out.

Daniel
Hi Daniel,
I'm using Windows Vista, and i am having one hell of a time trying to connect to the desktop manager via bluetooth. i did it before and now i cannot remember how i did it. i'm getting frustrated. ultimately, i would like to tether to use my pearl as my modem via bluetooth for when i'm not in a hotspot (my school doesn't have wi-fi). but i've got to get this bluetooth connection figured out first. the process of pairing with my pearl seems to be a bit different than you describe, but once i've got that done (i think), i move over to the desktop manager->options->connection setting->"enable bluetooth support" is already checked-> configure bluetooth->add, and it does not find my pearl. i need some help. i think i am bluetooth retarted. can you help me? Thanks for you time.
-Grant
Offline   Reply With Quote