View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #24
nicomachan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmo
Default Weighing In

I just wanted to weigh in here on the 8300. I will preface my statements by saying the following is LOOSELY based in fact, but like the rest of us, the comments to follow are from the limited speculative knowledge of "leaks."

8300 release - it appears TMO will see the first of the 8300 wave, approximately on or around 07 May 2007

8800 vs 8300 - these releases are two completely different target demographics. Staying true to the core competencies of RIM the 8800 will be more business/corporate oriented. The 8300 will be more consumer oriented (inclusive of camera, media functionality ect). The 8300, much like the pearl, is more in line with TMO's consumer oriented subscriber base, its a younger demographic and a family mix.

Market Share - there were two competing devices mentioned in this thread. iPhone - while it appears the iPhone, like previously released Apple products, is targeting a younger more vibrant demographic, the impact on RIM core user base (again, business/corporate) will be deminimous. Keep in mind for the moment, AT&T has the "exclusive" on the iPhone and what that would take for users to acquire. You may see a surge of upgrades at AT&T, from previous smart phone users. However, it does not seem AT&T will see an influx or migration of "new" subscribers breaking contracts, at $200+ a clip, to come to AT&T. I think the industry already recognizes they are nearing market saturation. The trend now is usage. How much can they get the subscriber to use the carriers' services. You'll see this directive come June, TMO launching a couple of programs (Take Control Accounts and a WiFi service, free calls off of WiFi networks), Sprint is coming out with a hybrid pre-paid reoccurring billing plan for unlimited calling in restricted coverage areas. This is an industry initiative, to start chipping away at the market share of the land line industry. Like any newly anticipate device the buzz surrounding the iPhone has been enormous (Apple has always done a great job at creating buzz). But the restricted release will have marginal effect on the overall market (by definition). That being said as a consumer, this seems like a GREAT device. I have seen a couple of "release" versions for this device, a complete touch screen and one more like a slider with a keypad. Apple being true to form, the colours ar vibrant and is everything you'd expect coming from Apple. But this is a consumer driven product and will have little impact on AT&T's business/corporate clients.

The second device mentioned was the Sidekick. For TMO the Sidekick could be impacted with an 8300 release. However, the big comparison here for TMO is data service pricing. TMO and the Sidekick are the preferred carrier and device for the hearing impaired community. That's because the data only service charge for the Sidekick is only $29.99 per month (without phone). Danger, manufacturer of the Sidekick, is expected to release a Sidekick 4 in the near future. I can see the 8300 impacting this Sidekick sales by shear virtue of features, functionality, and versatility. The Sidekick has MANY restrictions/limitations that would cause BB users to look for a fast horse and a short noose if they had to use a Sidekick, the least of which being the Sidekick will ONLY operate domestically.

WOW ok nough said - my apologies for being so long winded and getting off topic. <making appointment with doctor now to obtain adderall prescription>

Last edited by nicomachan; 04-10-2007 at 08:29 AM..