Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #53
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by srotman
i use my headset and my phone on the right side. same side. still have static.

in my opinion, those having static problems can attribute them to the dsp specifically with this unit.

last night i switched back to one of my SE headsets and im so much happier now. no static at all.
With all due respect, I think you're wrong about the static being attributable to the DSP. John Clark above in this thread said he's had the static from both the HS-655 and all his Motorola's similarly, when on the opposite side of the body, and there are reviews where its stated that the 645 (no DSP) will also have some static if on the opposite side of the body.

My guess, as an engineer is that its due to the mass and density of the human body between the phone and the headset. The more mass/density in between, the less signal is ultimately received. It also makes a certain amount of sense that your hbh-660 has less static in some situations. Its quite a bit bigger and weighs fully 2 1/2 times as much as the HS-655, so its not unreasonable that it might have a bigger battery, transmit with a bit more power, and maybe have a larger antenna hidden inside its much larger body.

There are always tradeoffs. Personally, I love the small size/weight of the 655 - not because its "cool" but because its much more comfortable to wear for longer periods. And on the same side of the body as my phone, I just don't get the static that you complain about.