Old 07-02-2006, 01:15 PM   #109
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliox8614
My two cents from a newbie perspective...

Tried the Plantronics 640 and returned it. The killer for this model (for me) was that issue with the unit not staying connected in the charger. That was the main issue. I loved the SQ, and the unit is comfortable, but for me I think it was too comfortable.
What I mean by that is, the thing never felt secure in my ear. It always felt like it might fall out at any second, even if it wasn't actually going to fall out, it still felt that way.
I don't know how other units would sound under similar circumstances, but I happened to be at an Astros game with my 640, and it didn't handle the crowd noise very well.
My conversation was 8700c to 8700c with both users in the stadium trying to find each other. I eventually turned off the 640 and we had better luck with both of us using just the phones.
I exchanged the 640 for the 510, and I really like the unit. I haven't used it in a similar environment as described above, so direct comparison is difficult.
Overall, I think the 510 is the better unit.
One caveat that is specific to me is that i am a big guy, and have proportionate (to my body size) ears, making the unit not quite fit me the way I believe it would fit the average user. The ear piece is always slipping out of my ear canal. Also, my ears are very close to my head near the top, and this makes putting on the 510 less than intuitive. Most other users won't have the difficulty that I do just getting the unit on their ear, but for me it is problematic... I usually end up using my left hand to pull the tip of my ear out far enough to get the unit on with my right hand.
If you really loved the headset and the only thing which caused you to return it was the loose fit of the charger than I think you made a mistake. That's something that's easilly fixed (as mentioned above with foam tape.) I mean I know it's B.S. and you shouldn't have to go through such extremes with a new product but if you really love the headset I'd think you'd be able to deal with the fix.

Just my 2 cents.