View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:00 AM   #11
Ryan Lim

Model: 7100V
Carrier: None
Default 2 possible solutions

Outlook 2007 Sync Problem
--------------------------
I have experimented for the pass 2 days since I upgraded from Outlook 2003 to 2007 and encountered the same problem as above. Basically I think it is the problem with Intellisync Configuration because Outlook 2007 uses a different format. But there is hope.

There seem to be 2 ways, I got first way to work. The second way would take much longer time (need some programming skills), and I don't want to mess up my setup again.

First Way - Using older configuraiton (average takes about 2 hours)
----------------------------------------------------------------
After I installed 4.1 desktop and handheld, i encountered the sync problem. I removed both from my computer (using Add/Remove program in the control panel), installed a lower verison desktop Manager (for my setup I used BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.0.1.19) and then installed a lower version of of handheld firmware (for my setup I used BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.0.0.234). Then I sync with Outlook 2007 with no problem. You can find these older desktop and firmware from the blackberry download site.

The above successful sync leaves a 'good' configuration file for the intellisync to work with.

Then I install the latest Desktop Manger (for my setup I used BlackBerry Desktop Manager v4.1 SP1 (Multilanguage) ). I sync it AGAIN. This is because some new files are added and the configuration file will be updated.

Then i install the latest Handheld firmware (for my setup I used BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.1.0.210 (Multilanguage) ). Then I sync it.

When all the above steps are completed. I can sync successfully with my USB/Bluetooth connections repeatively.

WARNING
---------
Do NOT press the Reset Configuration button inside the Desktop Manger->Intellisync once you cross into version 4.1 or desktop and/or firmware. This will erase the configuration file and replace with a incomptaible one with Outlook 2007.

If you want to customise your sync like mapping outlook property to certain fields in your blackberry, do it in version 4.0 so that the configuration file is intact.

Outlook 2007 incompatibility
--------------------------
Outlook 2007 adopt a new format (including more XML stuff I guess) hence some FIELDS are lost, this appears in contacts, task, calender. For example, for my contacts I kept some notes for each contact and this will NOT be sync into blackberry. In programming terms, the contact.body, task.body, calender.body has been changed. You can still see the information in Outlook 2007 but it won't be in your handheld.

METHOD 2 - Modifying the Intellisync configuration file
-----------------------------------------------------
During my research into solving the problem, seem like other users like Dopod etc also encoutner our problem. Your configuration file can be seen by first showing 'invisible' file then go to My Computer->Document and Setting->Users->Application Data->Research In Motion->Blackberry->Intellisync

You will see a couple of files. So far, I had no time to mess with these. But if you got itchy finger and press the Reset Configuration button in the Desktop manager/intellisync, you will see these folders replaced and promptly you won't be able to sync anymore.

Last edited by Ryan Lim; 06-09-2006 at 06:11 AM..