View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
serpico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleme

So my conclusion about the 3 Blackberries I used is that I think Cingular's RF is just not working correctly in Arizona for the BB's I had. I got a Razor to keep on hand for the weekends when I am not getting email and that phone is perfect even with the windows down on the freeway. After trying the Verizon BB7130 I am just positive that the RF is bad with Cingular's BB's since it is pretty much the same BB as the Cingular 7100g.
It could be Cingular as you suggest, but the 7100 series is known to have poor voice quality (search these forums and you'll see lots of people complaining, even wanting to write to RIM's CEO).

In particular, the mic is poorly designed and really does no noise cancelling, making the phone useless in all but quiet environments. I don't answer the phone when I'm outside anymore. The 7130 design is different, so it could be that they fixed the mic problem (and some of the comments in these forums suggest as much). The 8700 has gotten reviews (e.g., see PC Magazine) that describe the voice quality as mediocre - this is pretty common with BBs IMHO. In addition to the work/personal issue, I think the voice quality contributes to why so many BB users carry more than one device.

My conclusion with respect to BBs and voice quality is that the 7100 is horrible, most other BBs are mediocre, and perhaps the 7130 and newer BBs have and will continue to improve on this aspect of smartphones.