View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
wakko
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballwiz
We're running a BES 4.0 server with GroupWise. I manage the server. In the past, I've connected new BB handsets via usb to the BES server to activate them, and then they work.

I installed the Zen theme tonight and I am trying to do the OTA activation, but it is not working. I have access to the BES server, and I set my activation password to 'something' and then went to my BB and typed in my work email address and the same 'something' as the password, but it will not activate.

I also tried to have the BES server send out the activation password, but I never got the email.

Is there something that needs to be done on the BES server to enable OTA activation?

Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Rob
Other than setting your activation password nothing special needs to be done for OTA activation. However, i would check your spam filter. This seems to be the biggest pain for our users during wireless activation. We've since allowed global rules for all the activation messages to go through to avoid this step.

Here's a highligh of what happens when you request an OTA activation.
- Your bb sends a message to rim's noc that you want to activate OTA
- rim sends an e-mail to the user that's attempting activation (read: don't mistype your email address)
- your bes is monitoring each user's mailbox, so if when it detects the message it will start the activation proccess (assuming the act pw is valid)
- activation begins

So if your email system does not get the activation email for whatever reason (incorrect email address, spam filter stopping it, delays to to mail server problems) you will have difficulty wirelessly activating.