View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #22
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Default Re: Wow - what an article

Most people dont need mobile email. They want something simple which makes fun/proud/feels good etc. especially, when there are short moments of emptyness in the brain.

When Blackberry was "cool" it was because people who could make use of mobile email (and the blackberry was the only device which made this easy), used and use the Blackberry in just these situations to make actual use of this otherwise "lost" time.

Because of this, everyone who not had a blackberry and was not able use something else did get jealous. With BBM and mail RIM had an enormous success.

But this customer segment will turn to a different spare time filler as soon as there comes something which is more shinier, bigger, or has more features, because bbm and mail gets boring if you dont depend on it.
The iphone or ipad is just this. It fills this hole perfect.

However, the Blackberry still works perfect/even better then any other platform for email and texting. If your business and life depends on these things there still is IMO no better choice. Of course everyone somtimes likes a device to fondle, even those who need email and a keyboard. So even there is a fraction who will buy something else, because you more or less can do the same with it regarding mobile communications.

RIM clearly missed it to make something competetive for entertainment. The article is correct regarding this. But the core features are still superior. If RIM can live with a below 5% market share, thats fine with me, because I am on the "I dont need any app besides a mobile office and a little googling and maps" side. I even would not have the time to use it if I had it, and, if I have the time, I really do something else then using my mobile phone.

Last edited by nobody7290; 10-18-2012 at 12:16 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote