Old 09-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: RIM Outlines What Android App Features Won’t Work on the PlayBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Your beloved WP7 was a disaster before the "NoDo" update, and even that didn't help much. Heck, even Microsoft's Xbox was a commercial disaster for YEARS before it caught on. And that took some huge capital investments and fancy marketing footwork (buying Bungee, making Halo Xbox-only).

The original iPhone was a train wreck at launch. How many updates did it take before copy/paste was included?

The PlayBook is a rev.1 device and a work in progress. But hey, lets abandon it now and just call it a day, huh?
I wouldn't say the Xbox was a commercial disaster. The Xbox sold 123,000 units out of an approximate quarter million shipped units in the first three days. That is more than the Xbox 360 sold. The 360 sold 62,135 units sold of the 159,000 consoles shipped in the first two days--almost half of the original console launch.

As for the iPhone, I wouldn't say it was a train wreck at launch either. In fact, there were people lined out outside of the Apple store days before the device was launched. It reached 1 million units sold in just 74 days. The only thing that was a train wreck about it was the fact that the dropped the price two months after its release, thus screwing the early adopters. As for copy and paste, yeah it was missing that for a while, but if you never had it, how does one miss it?

As for the PlayBook. I think it was rushed out WAY too early. No native email client is a huge mistake, WiFi only with no option for a 3G unit is another mistake. Sprint dropped the possibility of carrying a 4G unit. The unit was rushed out, not even half-baked, but way under-cooked. When QNX 2 is released, it should be a lot better, but still, it's too little too late IMHO.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Offline   Reply With Quote