Old 12-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #16
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Playbook in the wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
...Playbook will do quite well. RIM is making a change and if they keep it up they'll do fine in the future.

Everyone always talks with such a narrow mind on this stuff. It's like all everyone cares about is the North American consumer market, which of course allows them to speculate that anything RIM puts out will fail miserably.

WAIT AND SEE, because unless you have some specific arguments as to why it will fail, you're just talking ####.
Four or Five months ago, heck even two months ago, I would have been pretty confident that the playbook would be a failure. That is because my judgements would have been based upon seeing products launching today, and their innovation over the products they arre replacing. WHich to be honest [IMO] is pretty much nil.

However, RIM has made some very interesting aquisitions as of late (Dataviz, QNX, and The Amazing Tribe (TAT)) that make me think that at least RIM realizes they need a leap ahead. My hope is that TAT has already been hard at work under cover and that their influence will be felt sooner than later.

I still have to say, though, that I still have a hard time understanding the business model for the Playbook. I cannot see a lot of Fortune 500 Companies with [cost conscious] IT departments forking over $$$ for a tablet for any, but an exclusive few. Especially considering it probably will not be a total laptop replacement. If it is a consumer device I struggle how I could buy this myself and still be able to access my secured BES data, unless it is just a view of what is stored on my BB, which lessens the device's utility.

If the playbook is part of some strategy to replace every laptop with a more secure replacement then maybe...
Offline   Reply With Quote