Old 11-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #47
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Has the TSA gone too far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
Well thought out post. Thanks. I wonder how the traveling American citizen would react to Isreali style airport security. It seems to me that we have come up with a solution that doesn't impead on ones race as a means of security, but doesn't necessarily protect ones "privates". You privacy has not been violated, they (the TSA agent) don't know you name or any data that could be used against you when you are being scanned. "Scan Everyone", then no one can come out and say they picked me out of the line because of the way i looked. God forbid we go back to offending people based on race or the way they look.

I honestly don't know what the answer is except that we need to keep the bad guys off of planes and further more out of this country.
Quote:
If you have nothing to hide what's the big deal? I guess i just don't get it? I hear flying in and out of Isreal is a real xxxxx so i don't know why we americans think this is "unnecessary". Maybe someone can enlighten me as to what is the issue here?

I guess you've never flown out of Ben Gurion then?

I do. It's usually fatser than at US airports. The difference is that they focus on behaviour, and everybody is involved in the process. While you're in line, you may get pulled out and questioned. When checking in, the agent asks you questions, and LOOKS at you. I;ve seen passport control agents engaged in conversations with each other, but they never take their eyes off you. If you observe closely enough, you'll notice even the custodial staff scans the crowd.

The difference? Everybody there takes security seriously, and everybody there is military trained.

While we'd never be able to get the same level of vivilance, hiring better better people, and yes it will cost more, and training them in behavioral analysis would pay off. And every single piece of luggage is hand examined.

Some of what they do won't scale up because of infrastructure. They stop and question every car. Can't do that here. But the security inside is possible. It would require more manpower. It means the flying public will have to give up the $99 NYC-LA return flights.

I'd rather pay more to fly and be safe than to deal with what we have now.
Offline   Reply With Quote