Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
I disagree, FJ. It doesn't matter if "language has been added." People act on their prejudices no matter what any piece of paper says. The bottom line is that it's highly unlikely that a cop in Arizona will suspect anyone of being an illegal immigrant who doesn't walk, talk, look or act like they are of Mexican or Central American descent.

For example, I'm sure it would never occur to them to ask for citizenship papers from someone like me when I have fair skin, blue eyes and an Appalachian accent. Someone like Giselle, however, who's as much a citizen as I am, might be asked to prove it. How is that situation right?

And suppose we two threw a girly party in Arizona and decided to sneak Noodle into the country to join us. Think they'd ever card Noodle, even though she's NOT a citizen??? I'd bet my entire life savings that it would not happen. Why? Because she's white.

I think most people would agree that there is NO WAY this law will be enforced fairly across all populations. Worse, I don't think the authors of the bill ever intended it to be.

Because of that, it is inherently racist. No matter what it says.

Edit: Yes, I read the bill (when it was still a bill).
Fair enough... we just have to agree to disagree.

My daughter is married to a man of Hispanic heritage (his mom was from Mexico, his dad from Spain)... some of my grandkids are also, therefore, of Hispanic descent. I don't fear for his or their "safety".

I will also add that my son is a Phoenix cop, and he personally knew and worked with 2 of the 3 cops murdered by illegal aliens from south of the border (one was Mexican, one was from Nicaragua)... but he is NOT a racist... he's only trying to his job protecting his family and his community from ALL criminals. Statistically, a higher number of violent crimes are committed by people who are not here legally, and if we can simply remove them and their criminal activity, it makes his job easier and keeps us all safe.

Finally, there is a correct and legal way to come to this country, and I welcome any and all comers - all I ask is that they do it the correct way.
Offline   Reply With Quote