View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #82
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner View Post
You obviously have more experience with BB's than I, at least from the # of posts ascribed to you. But I find it insulting when folks in the BB forums say things like "if you don't like it then get something else."

You are not alone in this Conyers. I have seen and encountered it in many instances elsewhere on BB-forums and it is contrary to the expected spirit of an online community. I do not understand why this 'buzz off' attitude is so common on BB-forums.

I do like my Storm2 and, as far as I can tell, it is the best device overall for my preferences, but as soon as Android launches GSM capability, I will get one. The ONLY thing that irks me about RIM is their stonewall attitude towards BB owners. Note I say OWNERS, not "users", which is quite a different category. You, Conyers, seem party to that RIM attitude.
With respect to the comment about a buzz off attitude by some, here's the issue:

I have seen calm, objective exchanges about the pros and cons of the way RIM does or does not do something, or about device design and function choices RIM has made, etc. And devoted blackberry users can indeed be critical. But the irritation for a lot of us longtime forum members happens in rants where the gripes are obviously about something that is just the way it is by design, and most users either take it for granted or in fact chose the device because of that characteristic. And when the complainer measure the blackberry against some other product which is intended for users with a different focus and need, then it's only natural to ask the individual why the heck they chose the blackberry if it doesn't suit their needs, or why if XYZ device is so much better for them, why not use it instead.

And then we have the broken record types that seem to rush here to post some news they think adds to their arsenal of facts that support the obvious conclusion that RIM is on the wrong track, or RIM IS DOOMED!!! And we end up with another thread like this one.

Veterans here have seen it over and over and over. If you want to objectively discuss pros and cons about the way something is, fine. But don't try and do it in a rant thread like this. Start your own thread and ask questions or ask for comment on an opinion in such a way to encourage respectful responses. I guarantee you will get them. Not that you won't get sarcastic responses too, but even those often provide information as well.

Just for what it's worth.