View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8820)

It won't be a surprise to many, but my free memory took a big hit with the upgrade to 4.5. I first noticed it when I started using app world (... the memory report at the top of the screen) and started paying attention. Things came to a head for me the other day when I got a memory warning when upgrading an app. I went ahead and canceled the install, did a hard reset to free up memory, then installed the app.

My situation was 10-11 MB free immediately after a hard reset, and down to as low as 5 during use. It wasn't causing serious problems, though I wondered if performance should be more responsive. I just tolerated it as long as I could. The memory warning was the last straw, however.

So, I found John Clark's optimization post and looked at what I could do. I like voice dialing and didn't want to remove that. But I don't need the extra default themes.

I removed all the theme cod's except for L (the one I use). Bad move. But adding back the BB Dimension Zen theme fixed things. I didn't even lose my customization.

So now, after a hard reset, I'm up to 14-15 MB free. And I think response is much more snappy. I don't run a lot of apps anyway, so having to decide what I really need (and what I really don't need) is not an inconvenience for me. If I'm not using an app much, I delete it. (I'm using Trip Case, Bing, Livestrong, Weather Eye, Fox News Alert, Blackberry App World, ÜberTwitter, and Pandora. I also had removed the original BBM and installed the latest version.)

Moving those cod's and running loader.exe was so cool, it put me in that technological happy zone where you say to yourself, "That is so neat!"

So, my advice to those who need it is: Don't get mad and complain, do something about it. Just fix it. (And if you can't fix it, find another device that works for you.)

Last edited by aiharkness; 12-15-2009 at 11:49 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote