View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Considering it but I don't exactly like Apple's approach to things like the App Store (and its seemingly arbitrary approval process). The Droid looks interesting and has strong potential to be a game changer but it's too early to tell for certain. Pre is permanently out for me as long as it's only on Sprint.

Email isn't a top priority for me either. I do want a decent selection of apps. I definitely want a much better browser. I'm not quite sure where I'll be headed at this point. I'd like to see some real world experience with the Droid. These sneak peeks and quick reviews that pop up for new devices rarely tell you the important stuff that pops up from actual day-to-day use.
As I said I'm playing around with, er conducting technical evaluation of a Rogers HTC Dream. I'm looking at it from a corporate IT point of view but I could look at some personal use issues.

At the moment my impressions are:
1) The touch screen is disappointing when compared to the iPhone.
2) It supports background processing (though with different UI semantics than the blackberry which I'm still wrapping my head around).
3) From a user point of view the browser, email, Market (applications store) are much better than Blackberry. There is no push email or MDS push which I make extensive use of, so for me the Blackberry wins YMMV
4) Application permissions on Android are not as flexible for the user as on the Blackberry. You are told what the app wants and you can install it (granting the permissions) or not. On the Blackberry the user can allow some and not others. For example on the Blackberry I run the Wordpress application without any of the permissions it asks for, and it runs fine within those bounds.
5) System security from a design point of view is interesting and reasonably strong. There have been some notable huge blunders in implementation.

Generally, all the people on here who want to run their Blackberries without a Blackberry data plan and use Wi-Fi hotspots for data should get an Android. I'm running it with a PAYG sim card for voice and SMS, no data except Wi-Fi and everything works as expected without any fuss.