View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 09:21 AM   #47
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I've said it in another thread and I'll say it here.

Absolutely no security department will give an electronic device a free pass because of it's manufacturer. Period. A guard will be required by procudeure to ask: 1) Do you have any cell phones, Media players, laptop computer, or other electronic devices? then 2) Do they have a camera? No security procedure will say If it's a BB then it's a-ok.

An IT department might prefer that BB's never have cameras or removable memory because it will make admin easier, but they are not the only forces in the market. They will not 'walk away' - who are they gonna walk to? As BarJohn has re-written 100 times [lack of camera and removable memory] does not mean they are secure, it only creates the illusion of security.

If my, or any other, bank is making security policy based on one handset manufacturer's installation of CCD's and removable flash RAM then please let me know the banks name so I can move my funds elsewhere. They are clearly clueless.

I suspect RIM hasn't put in cameras because:
1) Their current customer base is not clamoring for it [all of the reasons mentioned about 'security'] and why p!ss off those customers opposed to cameras for no good reason.
2) Their sales are bonkers without those extra features
3) They are probably too busy just trying to roll model upgrades to keep up with demand

If and when their sales slow down they WILL add these features. They are a business that has to grow or die. When (the market of people wanting cameras) > (the fear of losing a couple of customers due to adding cameras) they will be there.

Besides, as I also said in another thread - they [RIM] could come out with a completely different line of devices with no family resemblence under a different product line name. The RIM 'passion fruit' line of lifestyle managers. They could use BB connect, but have features for a completely different market and completely different form factors. This would keep the 'blackberry' line pure.

Last edited by jimn367; 12-28-2005 at 09:28 AM..