Old 12-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #20
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
In my case, only physically moving the device would restore the service, but it may be that the service is not going down except intermitently in your case, unlike my case where it was down for days. Once you lose GPRS, i.e. data I'm not sure what it takes to restore a data connection other than some kind of request from your handheld. Since the handheld no longer has a data connection it can't send data requests like a registration request. In my case moving the unit and a physical handoff between towers may be enough to restore the data connection. I don't know. If someone that knows how the unit triggers a request for a data connection can chime in here please do. I know when you only have GSM you have no data connection. Without some event triggering a request like turning radio on & off or changing towers I'm not sure if it can reestablish data connection on its own.

I just don't see why it is loosing the connection in the first place when signal strength is great and it is in a historically good EDGE area.

Thanks John,
JP