View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmead View Post
ok so i am going to open the proverbial can of worms here...

i don't think there should be any special circumstances invoked for "hate crimes". if you assault/murder/maim/degrade someone then the punishment should be what it is.

perhaps we as a country need to get off our sorry empathetic asses and make the punishment fit the crime. if you murder someone then make the punishment fit the crime. no added BS because the person was a minority or homosexual. murder is murder no matter what color or preferred gender.

my .0255 worth
I agree with you completely. I am concerned about someone's motivation only when we're talking about rehabilitation and future crime prevention. When we're talking about punishment for breaking a law, motivation should not be a factor -- with the sole exception of defense against another's illegal behavior. Otherwise: either you killed someone or you didn't. Either you broke into someone's home or you didn't. Either you stole or you didn't. Either you jaywalked or you didn't. &c.

It drives me crazy when people plead insanity to things. Of course they're insane! Sane people don't go around killing, raping, taking hostages, whatever. I don't care how sane they are, I care whether or not they're free to be crazy (or not) on the street after behaving that way!
Offline   Reply With Quote