View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #34
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
I wonder how many free devices that came with pizza's or Dockers are still active 6 months after they are purchased.
I love these Good people. How about 99%? You must know for a fact that $0 blackberry, like $0 high-end phone, comes with 2-3 years contract. Breaking that contract on 6-th month will usually result in penalties as high as full cost of the device plus more.

You know that for a fact yet imply that people dump consumer blackberries after 6 months trial.

Quote:
Good has NEVER focused on the consumer/prosumer market.
Bad for Good. If you can't diversify, you will die.

Quote:
Our solution requires access to the Exchange server with no consumer version available.
Here comes Microsoft with its free of charge add-on to Exchange. It will crush Good and RIM in corporate market like IE crushed Netscape.

Quote:
BB, on the other hand, is marketed heavily towards the consumer market, albeit by the carriers.
True. RIM realized corporate market got too many new players and diversified into consumer market. GoodLink can't.

Quote:
Free BB with pizza or 4 tires is not a target at the business market.
As long as it sells with 3 years unbreakable contract.

Quote:
The analogy you make regarding Mac is true, althought I am of the opinon you have them backwards. RIMM, with its proprietary solution is the Macintosh. Apple had 60% of the PC market at one time and then got crushed by solutions based upon industry standards.
Here I do agree with you. RIM is like Apple: has tight control over hardware quality, has software tuned for hardware they produce, Java VM for RIM is like BSD for Apple- reliable kernel, and anyone who can program for Java can write software for blackberry. You don't even have to have blackberry to write software for it: free of charge blackberry emulator from RIM will run just fine on your desktop PC.

Yes, RIM is like Apple, and it may as well end up at 5% of mobile market.

GoodLink is more like company that was selling TCP/IP stack for Windows 3.1. What was that company name? What did happen to it when Microsoft released Windows95 with embedded TCP/IP support, providing data connectivity for free?