View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #16
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy View Post
Quick question vinmontRD: your advice applies for home use. What about wi-fi in various places (airports, coffee shops, etc)?
In general, even before tweaking the router settings, I found that UMA always provided good service for email, data, SMS and MMS. Also, it seems that I generally can make or receive short calls when I'm out in public in a WiFi area. I haven't had occasion to try to along call in these areas -- so I'm not certain what would happen. Considering that many of these locations (e.g, coffee shops) use home-brew solutions such as home-quality Linksys routers rather than using a higher end commercial level product. That being the case, I suspect I'd have the same problems trying to make an extended phone call over one of these connections.

Before I knew any of this in detail, I used to use my 8900 in my old office, where WiFi was provided by a commercial grade Sonicwall router. There were NO special settings made to accomodate me -- but I never had issues making phone calls over UMA there. Perhaps there's something inherently different in the way the Sonicwall shapes the data stream.
Offline   Reply With Quote