View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
bofeity

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Strange -- haven't heard of bad batches of BB's like this, but it's certainly possible. We had a family member pick up one of the new Nokia 5610 Express Music phones from T-Mobile when they first came out. Had bad problems from day one (phone resetting itself, phone losing the unlock password, impossible to copy contacts from SIM to phone memory, etc). A quick online search found many people reporting the same problem, and a call to T-Mobile customer care and Nokia confirmed that these were known issues, and the T-Mobile wound up pulling the phones off the shelves for a couple of months until they and Nokia came up with a fix, at which point they replaced our device and returned the model to the stores (and website).

However -- even though this was a widespread problem -- it was NOT universal, but seemed tied to certain large batches of the device, perhaps unique to combinations of certain hardware and firmware, although that's speculation. Although it's uncommon, it's certainly conceivable that a batch of BB's could suffer from the same assembly defect.

I'm curious though, how you were able to even get 4 devices in such a short time. Are you in the U.S? My understanding was that the typical T-Mobile retail store was allotted 5 of the devices in the first shipment, and sold out almost immediately. Did you keep getting these from the same retail store?
Common or not, I am not happy with these issues. I want a working phone. The 8900 is the best BB I have had and I have had several. It's an amazing phone. I like it a lot!

As for getting this many, I am in the US yes. I have gone to retail locations (corporate). The first one I got right when it came out on day one waiting outside of the store. They sold out in 20 minutes. I couldn't get another one until Friday (13th). It turns out that many stores were indeed sold out, but several stores did get a new batch 2 days after their first batch sold out on the 11th. But only a few did. I called many to see which one's had it and which ones didn't. Today I was lucky as 2 stores had a total of 3 available. I checked out 2 today and decided to just wait until a newer shipment arrived.

That's the advantage of going retail as opposed to having it shipped via package.
Offline   Reply With Quote