Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #68
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBFanboy View Post
I don't mind people complaining about legit issues, but when you pooh-pooh the Blackberry and praise the iPhone on the same issue that deserves a more indepth look.

If this was stricktly a Blackberry issue then why reports such as this http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-problem_N.htm

Indeed just do a search for iPhone 3g dropped calls - you'll find complaints are that up to 3% of calls are dropped - to my mind that's a hell of a lot more than I have seen with the Blackberry Bold.
OK fanboy, I get your message (no iPhone praise allowed in your presence). In all seriousnes, I reported here the problem I had with the first Bold; the fact that AT&T switched me to an iPhone in our local area (and it did not show the dreaded "radio path unavailable" that the Bold repeatedly did); and teh latest update that I was back to a second Bold which was more solid.

Regardless, the iPhone (in its two weeks) never dropped a call in the same area as the Bold did repeatedly. Now the Bold is much better, but even today had two episodes of dropped calls - "radio path unavailable" so make of it what you will. AT&T is not admitting to any weakness in its tower tuning, but either they are tuned too well for the iPhone, or not for others. As for your "Google it" admonition, just Google "radio path unavailable" and tell me how many RIM shots you get compared to iPhone.

I stand by my personal evaluation - Bold is truly an enterprise class device with good battery performance, but voice stability of the iPhone out here in the boonies outperforms the Bold.