Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM   #63
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
I strongly believe this is a "unit specific" issue. My replacement Bold, although only 3 days old, has not had a single "radio path unavailable" or other dropped call. The first one averaged 3-4 such incidents every day, yet showed 5 full bars of signal. It is strange that you can still get SMS and email when this happens. but it is beyond frustrating when you don't know someone has tried to call and you don't even get the missed call notification.

(Knocking on wood) - the new one is rock solid.
UPDATE II

According to AT&T, there is no way to determine if this is "unit specific" or "network weakness" but of course they would never admit to the later. In fact, when I had the problem with the first Bold, they specifically denied any network problems. Come to find out (from the county's IT guru) AT&T was having a large number of 3g complaints for our local (new) roll-out in December-January and were being tight lipped as they tuned the towers. It is particularly a problem for phones like the Bold that cannot be manually throttled back to EDGE when there's a weak 3g signal. Perhaps iPhone has a "Stronger" radio?

ANYWAY, Bold #2 has been rock solid for a week; strong 2-day battery; same great enterprise connectivity.