pretzelb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Ok, let me rephrase that. There are no current known viruses for BlackBerrys. There are a couple of spy applications, but not viruses/trojans. The spy applications can be installed if someone has access to the device.

The BlackBerry OS APIs ane security features are locked down very tight
mking it very hard to hack or infect, and none of the known mobile viruses to date can infect a BlackBerry.
I hate to argue the point but imo there is a huge difference between being unable to infect a device and a device not being infected as much as others. That appears to be the case. One of the articles you quoted even cited one big reason for the Symbian hacks was most phones run on it. The same could be easily said for Vista/XP in the pc world compared to all others. Just because an OS is attacked more than others doesn't necessarily mean it's more vulnerable than others - it could mean the hackers are just going for the biggest splash.

Unless you can point me to something specific, there isn't anything about the BB OS that makes it any less vulnerable to attack. One of the articles you included talked about a game or utility program in China that infected many phones and used the phones to send information to the coder. What exactly about the BB OS would prevent that from happening? Is it impossible to code a program that sends messages?

I think it can be done just as easily as it can be done on the other platforms. I just think it's a matter of coders going for the larger market. I'd say you have more success getting your virus infected game installed on Win Mobile than BB.

The only other possibility besides the user downloading and installing the virus would be infection via simple web browsing. This is where the device / OS could make it's name as being superior to others but as far as I know there aren't any stats on this.
Offline   Reply With Quote