View Single Post
Old 11-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
snogger

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Questions on the msde to SQL change

We are preparing to move from MSDE to SQL also. The SQL database will be hosted on a SQL server rather than on the BES server itself.

The person who was originally in charge of the two Blackberry servers was let go and I was assigned as support. Nothing like learning under fire as the only thing I knew how to do before he left was how to read my mail on my blackberry.

I have the KB articles printed out and lots of notes already added but have some questions I can't seem to find an answer to.

I was wondering if you all could give me some idea of the time frame.

From the time I take down the current services, back-up the data, restore the configuration to the new SQL server and start the services on the new server are we looking at an hour, hours, or a day??

we plan on working with the Sql server person to have the Sql part ready before we make the move so that task should be done.

BES is 4.1.6, Domino is 6.5

We are moving the current BES Server off old hardware to new hardware at the same time.
We have the new server loaded with Domino already and wondering if we can install the BES Software now with the same license without starting the services?
Or do we need to wait until the day we shutdown the current Server?

We are planning on leaving the old server setup with the local MSDE with the back out plan of firing it back up if our switch to SQL and the new hardware fails.
Any ideas if there will problems backing out that way if we have to?

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated. I've had two months now to figure out how to work with the servers and support the current environment and now I am charged with this switch over. Learning on the job, with no training has been interesting to say the least.

Last edited by snogger; 11-26-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote