View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #17

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK

thanks chainsawdude........

after trying for two weeks to get a GPS fix, after calling in the o2 shop I got the device from where they tried another device, unsuccesfully I might add, I suggested that I try one more time in the open in a field befire swapping the hanset for another.

in trying this second device in the store, the salesperson pulled the battery and put my sim in another device. As I left, I put my sim back in my handset, and after another 5 minutes of trying - it fixed on 5 satellites.

I have no idea what had changed - but it was the first time since I put the battery in that it had been removed.

anyway, it's working now. not as good as tom tom, but very useful in finding your location, and directions to places in strange citys etc etc.

one thing I was surprised with was the lack of knowledge that the o2 call centre had.

1 person "The phone does not have GPS"
1 person "You need to subscribe to telemap for the chip to be active" - there's even an entry on the 02 website which suggests this is BULL
1 person correctly said, the phone does have GPS, but it's a feature on the phone that we cannot determine if it's working correctly. If you believe you have a faulty handset you should return it to the store for replacement.
Offline   Reply With Quote