BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   I really dislike Manf. & Carriers (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=57637)

apple85 12-13-2006 12:16 AM

I really dislike Manf. & Carriers

Why can't manf. and carriers give us cell products that take advantage of current technology and should there be an upgrade coming shortly after (IE REV A EVDO). Verizon just releases that 8703e what 2 month ago? NOT that long now Rev A is coming out and it won't be able to take advantage of it! WTF.I think this produce a product and out date it in 2 months is getting stupid. I want to see cell manf and carriers being regulated to serve the PAYING customers.If it's coming within a year why not make the device capable. I don't think it's out of reason, people will still buy the new devices.

markhutchison 12-13-2006 01:07 AM

You're suggesting that the industry be regulated in such a way that hardware products must be made to be forward compatible with unreleased and untested network infrastructure?

mark0341 12-13-2006 01:24 AM

Wirelessly posted (BLACKBERRY 8703e (ALLTEL): BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

Sprint is not the only company that has Rev A. They have it in 20 major cities. Relax, VZW has begun to deploy it as well.

apple85 12-13-2006 12:58 PM

ONLY if the release would/will be shortly after they release the new phone product. I mean look at Apple sticking 802.11 N's in Macbooks/Pro's w/o telling anyone they're sending some out for tech isn't released yet right? I'm It's my belief that they have been testing playing with Rev A far before the release of the 8703e (because they don't just spit out upgraded networks IMHO) and should that be the case make the 8703e (or any phone coming out shortly before the release) capable of taking advantage of it.

southwestcomm 12-13-2006 04:59 PM

Pre 802.11 should worry you. What if the standards change and the hardware is not compatible?
As for Rev A networks and no hardware - unless you are tethering you BB to a laptop you won't see any difference in performance.

apple85 12-13-2006 05:13 PM

Ooook i'll take your word for it. I'm not tethering as I have an Apple Powerbook and recently sold my Christmas present Macbook running parallels.

markhutchison 12-13-2006 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apple85
...It's my belief that they have been testing playing with Rev A far before the release of the 8703e ...

Yes, I'm sure that Sprint, Verizon and other CDMA carriers have been testing Rev environments for a while now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by apple85
..and should that be the case make the 8703e (or any phone coming out shortly before the release) capable of taking advantage of it.

Carriers do not build the handsets. You can't expect the network and hardware development to be 100% in synch. It makes little sense for a hardware manufacturer to develop a device based on a carrier's projected network specifications.

apple85 12-13-2006 06:22 PM

hmm while on the phone with a Verizon WDTS guy (not that i'm taking it for 100%) he said that he can't 100% confirm but he's pretty sure that since Rev A's been in the working and the 8703e was released not to long ago that it would be able to or a software upgrade would do it.

backbeat 12-13-2006 10:12 PM

Pick a forum section. Any forum section. :wink: