BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Need Verizon or Sprint 8703e Input (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=54219)

kitmoni 11-13-2006 08:43 AM

Need Verizon or Sprint 8703e Input

I'm coming back to CDMA. I have an 8700c, love the device - unhappy with the voice quality of GSM. Maybe it's the Cingular model, but I know what I had on Sprint, and I need better quality. I know the Sprint plans, but need some help on the Verizon side from you V-experts...

1. My company has a great discount. One of the plans available is called the "Blackberry Voice & Data Choice Bundle". This appears to be a bundled price (1350 minutes) for the voice plan, and the blackberry unlimited plan. Is that correct? I called Verizon but wasn't real confident in the answer I got. When I go through the order process on our company site, it takes me to a screen where we can add features like a blackberry unlimited plan. If the bundle includes it, I don't need this, right? If that's so, then the price is outsanding (89/mo). If not, then it's not too different than Sprint.

2. Is EVDO available on the Verizon 8703e? If so, what is the browsing speed like? I tried a Sprint 8703e in a store and was pleased with it's speed, but haven't looked at a Verizon unit yet.

3. Can the Verizon units download Zen OTA like Sprint? [now that I'm typing this I'm thinking this is a stupid question]

Any input on these items would be appreciated. Thank you!

bcoutlander 11-13-2006 10:16 AM

I would say go with the Sprint 8703. Not only is tethering included the GPS function works quite well. Verizon has disabled the GPS on their 8703's.

nethiker 11-13-2006 10:23 AM

I downloaded Zen OTA on Verizon.

kitmoni 11-13-2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcoutlander
I would say go with the Sprint 8703. Not only is tethering included the GPS function works quite well. Verizon has disabled the GPS on their 8703's.

Good input. Do you have a Fair & Flexible PLUS a blackberry plan? I'm seeing the $79 F&F (pre-discount), then unlimited blackberry @ $45 (pre-discount). Still trying to find out if Verizon's "bundled" plan is really bundled at $89, or if you still have to add the unlimited blackberry.

pspiegel 11-13-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitmoni
Good input. Do you have a Fair & Flexible PLUS a blackberry plan? I'm seeing the $79 F&F (pre-discount), then unlimited blackberry @ $45 (pre-discount). Still trying to find out if Verizon's "bundled" plan is really bundled at $89, or if you still have to add the unlimited blackberry.

from what you said I would be confused too... it kind of sounds to me like the verizon bundled may be bundled with the data.. but i can't be completely sure since I don't work for your company (but that is a REALLY good deal so it might be too good to be true). what is the exact naming of the plan? if i were you I would go into a store and ask them or call customer service again and find out..

EVDO speeds on verizon are very very fast, I am constantly amazed at how fast it is, the verizon units CAN downlod ZEN OTA. Basically the only difference between the sprint unit and the verizon unit is that verizon does not come with its own internal GPS (you can still use a bluetooth puck GPS though), however it all comes down to which network will give you better service, for me it is verizon by far, but it all depends on where you are..

kitmoni 11-13-2006 03:00 PM

Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Update: I stopped by Verizon and verified the plan. It's called "Blackberry Voice and Data Choice Bundle", and according to Verizon it is a combined plan with voice minutes and unlimited blackberry data (1350 minutes, list price $109). This provides a savings of about $15/mo over the piece-mealed plans. GPS isn't a big deal to me as I have that in my car.

Dubdub 11-13-2006 03:45 PM

I would make sure one meets your needs as far as coverage goes before making the jump. If you travel overseas, then neither CDMA carrier will work as you will need GSM service.

faisal 11-13-2006 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcoutlander

go sprint.. I HAVE IT AND LOVE IT

THE TETHERING IS AWESOME AND ITS INCLUDED

pspiegel 11-13-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitmoni
Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Update: I stopped by Verizon and verified the plan. It's called "Blackberry Voice and Data Choice Bundle", and according to Verizon it is a combined plan with voice minutes and unlimited blackberry data (1350 minutes, list price $109). This provides a savings of about $15/mo over the piece-mealed plans. GPS isn't a big deal to me as I have that in my car.

at your discount that is a GREAT deal, i would jump on that in a heartbeat

DanUC6 11-13-2006 06:58 PM

Is Gps Included Too!!!

Lurs 11-13-2006 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub
I would make sure one meets your needs as far as coverage goes before making the jump. If you travel overseas, then neither CDMA carrier will work as you will need GSM service.

I am not sure why people always say this. CDMA is available in many places outside the US, just not Europe.