BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Playbook OS 2.0 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=254599)

darkmanCANADA 10-18-2011 01:17 PM

Playbook OS 2.0

RIM unveils new BlackBerry, PlayBook OS | News | Tech | Calgary Sun

When will it hit mine?

NJBlackBerry 10-18-2011 01:27 PM

Re: Playbook OS 2.0

After RIM releases it. That's as accurate a date as anyone has!

CFJSS 10-18-2011 06:22 PM

you can register and get the beta here

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/...et20/register/

I have installed it and wil report back

ZombieBerry 10-18-2011 06:42 PM

For consumers, the beta OS 2.0 is useless as native apps will not work. Neither will bridged apps. The OS is for devs to test app compatibility.

I hope you backed up your PB. Bookmark that page you posted, cause at the bottom are instructions to downgrade.

NJBlackBerry 10-18-2011 07:21 PM

Great idea to install a developer's version that is stripped down. I'll wait for an official release.

fishspoon 10-18-2011 07:26 PM

now that os2 has gone to beta testing, do you know how long this step usually takes?
or is it kind of like asking how deep a hole is.

ZombieBerry 10-18-2011 07:27 PM

Guess that is why they are giving out a 'free' PB at the devcon. I am already starting to hear the horror stories from people who can't use any of their apps. Then start to realize they did not back up, and now have to downgrade and reinstall all their PB apps. Oh the fun begins.:-o

LAFH999 10-18-2011 07:28 PM

Hi there
Hoping someone can help me, i was just download the beta version and then i noticed it was for developers only, the version 2.0 is pending, is there away i can get rid of this downloaded pending software update so i can wait for the official version. Thanks in advance! Sorru, should reword this..the software update is available as i did register my PIN, but i have not downloaded it..

ZombieBerry 10-18-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishspoon (Post 1750972)
now that os2 has gone to beta testing, do you know how long this step usually takes?
or is it kind of like asking how deep a hole is.

Beta testing for developers only. I heard another 60 days after devcon, but the video I saw from the same was showing a working OS 2.0 during a demo. I don't know what to believe. I am just along for the ride.

NJBlackBerry 10-18-2011 07:30 PM

And no one has any clue when native applications will be available.

ZombieBerry 10-18-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAFH999 (Post 1750974)
Hi there
Hoping someone can help me, i was just download the beta version and then i noticed it was for developers only, the version 2.0 is pending, is there away i can get rid of this downloaded pending software update so i can wait for the official version. Thanks in advance! Sorru, should reword this..the software update is available as i did register my PIN, but i have not downloaded it..

BlackBerry Dev support BlackBerry Plug-in for Android

If you already installed and want to roll back Downgrading From Tablet OS 2.0 Beta to the Current... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

You can try opting out in BlackBerry Dev Zone and then reboot your PB.

ZombieBerry 10-18-2011 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1750976)
And no one has any clue when native applications will be available.

With devs only getting access this day. It's anyone's guess. Sure the demos look awesome, but it's the lack of when that has me worried.

EDIT::: The only slim silver lining, is that RIM says it will be much easier to 'port' over apps that have already been written (wtf that means) I know there is a but somewhere.

From BlackBerry.com

Can I run Native SDK 1.0.7 applications while using Tablet OS 2.0?
It is not possible to deploy applications that are created with version 1.0.7 of the native SDK on tablets with BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0. But we’re excited to announce that a beta release of the native SDK 2.0, which supports BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0, will be available soon. Until then, please use the simulator or a tablet with BlackBerry Tablet OS 1.0.7 to test your applications.

LAFH999 10-18-2011 07:40 PM

I havent installed the update, but i registered my PIN and now the update is available for download, but i would like to get rid of that update as it is BETA and wait for the official version

ZombieBerry 10-18-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAFH999 (Post 1750979)
I havent installed the update, but i registered my PIN and now the update is available for download, but i would like to get rid of that update as it is BETA and wait for the official version

See my above post please. You may have to Opt out of BlackBerry Dev Zone. Within BBDevZone is the option to opt out of any and all beta programs. Then reboot your PB. The notification/request should disappear.

CFJSS 10-19-2011 10:06 AM

my playbook works fine with the beta so far
the bridged apps work fine
all my programs funtion
only things missing are the email / calendar etc
the native apps people are talking about i am not sure which apps they mean
give me a list and i will try them out

ZombieBerry 10-19-2011 10:48 AM

You can bookmark this page to have most of your Bridge apps working.

http://127.0.0.1:187

NJBlackBerry 10-19-2011 10:53 AM

Wonder why someone would install a developer's version of a new operating system and then ask "what are native apps".

ifonline 10-19-2011 11:07 AM

For the same reasons that people have downloaded this developer preview and then complained that functions/apps are missing or don't work properly.

daphne 10-19-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1751112)
Wonder why someone would install a developer's version of a new operating system and then ask "what are native apps".

Because they are _________
Fill in the blank as desired. A few words come to my mind.

NJBlackBerry 10-19-2011 11:17 AM

Sounds like we need a new poll.