BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   A question about wi-fi (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=227997)

phantomtech 06-03-2010 10:10 AM

A question about wi-fi

As my 9650 is the first BB that I have owned that has wi-fi (and I refuse to read the manual), I have a question:

When connected to wi-fi, does the wi-fi because the primary data traffic route? I was just on the phone with a friend and had another friend BBM me. Now before with Sprint, when I was on the phone, the BBM would just queue up at RIM and wait to be delivered to my handheld until I was off the phone. So now I am sitting here talking and using my messenger.

I am in no way complaining, but I am wondering if all data goes through wi-fi when it's connected and it uses the carrier network as a backup or if wi-fi is not connected.

Dubdub 06-03-2010 10:33 AM

Maybe you should read the manual!

Is you question "When connected to wi-fi, does the wi-fi become the primary data traffic route?

fratts 06-03-2010 11:11 AM

Well if you refuse to read the manual, I refuse to answer your question.

phantomtech 06-03-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1614319)

Is you question "When connected to wi-fi, does the wi-fi become the primary data traffic route?

Yes that is exactly my question. And reading the manual will take too long. With 8 work and personal email accounts on my BB, I'm lucky to stay up on my email, let alone read the manual.

I just noticed even with the red letters... that in my original post I put because, not become... have you just ever had one of those days????

phantomtech 06-03-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fratts (Post 1614348)
Well if you refuse to read the manual, I refuse to answer your question.

See the answer above... Did you read your manual??? :smile:

devnull 06-03-2010 07:43 PM

I read my manuals every time I get a new electronic device, car, or home appliance. I also keep them stored away for later review. Why, because that's why they're provided but most importantly so that I don't have to ask someone else. I even teach my kids to do the same.

jrice8002003 06-04-2010 12:19 AM

Wirelessly posted

Am I the only curious one that wants an explanation as to why this poster has EIGHT work/personal e-mail accounts?

MidnightDraven 06-04-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrice8002003 (Post 1614605)
Wirelessly posted

Am I the only curious one that wants an explanation as to why this poster has EIGHT work/personal e-mail accounts?

yes

Tri-Tip 06-04-2010 10:03 PM

You guys are harsh, I thought the purpose of the Blackberry Forum is to help other users, not to shame them for not reading a manual.

phantomtech 06-05-2010 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tri-Tip (Post 1614974)
You guys are harsh, I thought the purpose of the Blackberry Forum is to help other users, not to shame them for not reading a manual.

That's what I though also. Apparently when I have helped other people, it was wrong.

As for the 8 personal and email accounts... well that really has nothing to do with the question that I posted. But if you must know... 3 are personal, 5 are work related. Because of my job, I have to have multiple work email accounts.

devnull 06-05-2010 08:46 AM

Helping is one thing. Spoon feeding is another.

aiharkness 06-05-2010 11:51 AM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tri-Tip

Ahh, but you don't know harsh, or else you've not been around. It isn't unusual -- even common practice -- on some forums to tell people RTFM if that's where the answer can be found. But this forum is a lot more tolerant. However, when someone states up front they know where the answer is but they don't want to go figure it out themselves but rather have it spoon fed to them, well, that's the problem.

devnull 06-05-2010 11:57 AM

Wirelessly posted (I'm mobile)

Very well said Ira.

stevenmz 06-05-2010 12:38 PM

Which button hangs up...green or red?

TXLady 06-05-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenmz (Post 1615150)
Which button hangs up...green or red?

Yes.

phantomtech 06-10-2010 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1614319)

Is YOUR question "When connected to wi-fi, does the wi-fi become the primary data traffic route?

I would just like to thank the people on this forum for once again showing how not to treat people.

Everyone feels the need to go off on tangents about what was asked instead of answering the question. And I would love to know where in the manual the answer is?? Here's a copy http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf...rtphone_ug.pdf

Manuals typically do not answer questions like the one I asked so instead of wasting time on re-reading how to use my BB, I figured I would ask to get a quick answer. To assume that I know the answer is in the manual is ignorant on the part of the users on this forum.

This forum use to be about answering questions (even one's that have been asked numerous times). But instead the childish behavior that is shown here on occasion comes out. The problem is, when people on this forum don't know the answer, they turn into moronic children and try to make others feel the same way.

Enjoy your evening.

ang mga anak ng lugar na ito, ay ang pagkawasak ng lugar na ito

Motorcycle Mama 06-10-2010 05:27 AM

But you started off on the wrong foot by blatantly stating in your OP that "I refuse to read the manual".

That attitude smacks of laziness and wanting to be spoonfed without making any effort to help yourself.

THAT is NOT what the forum is for. Had your OP not contained that one statement, it likely would have been received differently.

You might want to take a step back and look at that before you get an attitude about other people. Just a thought.

TDSWIM 06-11-2010 09:51 PM

Alright, alright, I just looked in the manual and it doesn't really say anything about it being the PRIMARY data transfer method, but it does say you can use it for web browsing and email. I'm guessing that yeah, everything except for calling gets routed over to the wifi. If the wifi connection is iffy does the phone automatically switch back to the data plan service? That's the question.

phantomtech 06-11-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDSWIM (Post 1617634)
Alright, alright, I just looked in the manual and it doesn't really say anything about it being the PRIMARY data transfer method, but it does say you can use it for web browsing and email. I'm guessing that yeah, everything except for calling gets routed over to the wifi. If the wifi connection is iffy does the phone automatically switch back to the data plan service? That's the question.

That is the question. I also know that if I am connected to wi-fi, that I have to disable wi-fi before I can use Sprint TV.

I just figured with the amount of knowledge that is on this forum, that someone would know the more technical side of the phone and be able to answer it. (and I too read the manual, even though I haven't read a BB manual since my first one which was a 7250)

phantomtech 06-11-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama (Post 1616961)
But you started off on the wrong foot by blatantly stating in your OP that "I refuse to read the manual".

That attitude smacks of laziness and wanting to be spoonfed without making any effort to help yourself.

THAT is NOT what the forum is for. Had your OP not contained that one statement, it likely would have been received differently.

You might want to take a step back and look at that before you get an attitude about other people. Just a thought.

You are correct. I probably should have phrased it differently. But the question I was asking I was 90% sure was not in the manual as it has more to do with data transport then with actual operation of the blackberry. It has nothing to do with being spoon fed. It has to do with the fact that I searched the forums (even non 9600 forums) and didn't find an answer. People consistantly post questions that have been asked and answered with a lot less grief from this community.

Had I been home (or even in the states at the time), I probably would have grab my manual and thumbed through it looking for the answer (even though I was pretty sure the answer wasn't going to be in there).

Again, I could have asked the question differently (my mistake) and not been up front about refusing to reading the manual (but I don't work that way). But, most would have to agree that my original post didn't need to be responded to in such a harsh and demeaning manner.