BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Stock/Legal Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Interesting thought ffor US BB users (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=22011)

marc996miami 12-18-2005 06:13 PM

Interesting thought ffor US BB users

If by chance the NTP patent infringment causes a shutdown they have said that government agancies will not be effected which in turn causes me to think the service providers will still have BB service going out over the air per say. So therfore if my friend comes from Toronto he will still have his BB device work as normal on roaming, correct or am I wrong? Therfore I will just goto Toronto get a Rogers line and setup my mail through there I will then get another phone to use as a mobile on my current VZW line...thats my contingeny plan! Thoughts

Also new to the Forum been on Howards for a long time glad to here and I love having a BB...

emale 12-19-2005 10:10 AM

No-one is going to shutdown BlackBerry, if anything BlackBerry is going to shutdown those trolls

jibi 12-19-2005 10:23 AM

*IF* a shutdown were to occur, they would have to whitelist government accounts at the carrier gateway level, I would imagine. If not there, then at the RIM infrastructure level, but I would think that the carriers would want it in their ballpark. Even if you roamed to Canada, you'd still be blocked, unless you switched over to a Rogers or whomever's SIM/service.

marc996miami 12-19-2005 10:26 AM

I think you are missing my point I am in the US I would get a Rogers unit and use it here,,,will it work?

Nextel User 12-19-2005 12:41 PM

Nextel has made my account a goverment account. am i free and clear.

marc996miami 12-19-2005 01:51 PM

why so?

KonTiki 12-19-2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi
*IF* a shutdown were to occur, they would have to whitelist government accounts at the carrier gateway level, I would imagine. If not there, then at the RIM infrastructure level, but I would think that the carriers would want it in their ballpark. Even if you roamed to Canada, you'd still be blocked, unless you switched over to a Rogers or whomever's SIM/service.

I understand and I have another question albeit not the best answer at hand but, if a shutdown is in effect does that mean no e-mail at all? Example of what i have in mind, would you not be able to use the browser as an internet tool, access gmail mobile which would be a much slower process but still allow you to use e-mail that way. I mean as it is the BB would still function as a PDA in every other way, or is the internet access function of the BB in the same band as the e-mail?

marc996miami 12-19-2005 03:35 PM

Thats a good question anyone with answers?

writergal 12-20-2005 04:02 AM

But doesn't your service provider "change" when you roam? I'm on Rogers, but whenever I go to NYC, my BB switches to Cingular.

marc996miami 12-20-2005 10:46 AM

Yes I dont care about that, however my question is would Cingular be broadcasting the BB service so that non-US residents on roam would get it. Therefore if I have a Candian unit on roam I can snd/recv emails

mriff 12-20-2005 12:21 PM

It's all moot. BB service in the US will not be shut down.

emale 12-20-2005 11:23 PM

Agreed

marc996miami 12-21-2005 09:43 AM

Thats all good thoughts I however think that it could happen very slight but there is always a chance

jibi 12-22-2005 02:03 PM

As someone else mentioned, you'd be roaming to US carrier networks, therefore the BlackBerry service would most likely not work - common sense says no, I would think. KonTiki, it uses the BlackBerry infrastructure to push the service books, so there's a chance that pre-existing service books would still work for internet, etc., but I doubt a new handheld would be able to receive those service books.

KonTiki 12-22-2005 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi
As someone else mentioned, you'd be roaming to US carrier networks, therefore the BlackBerry service would most likely not work - common sense says no, I would think. KonTiki, it uses the BlackBerry infrastructure to push the service books, so there's a chance that pre-existing service books would still work for internet, etc., but I doubt a new handheld would be able to receive those service books.

A big "IF" but if the browser were to work then accessing mobile.gmail.com would be possible or accessing my yahoo would work also and then you could read and answer from there rather than the BB, again not an optimal solution but at least another "work around".

SmurfBerry 12-22-2005 10:08 PM

I am not hee to add fuel to the fire, but the rumors in the news are exactlly what they are...Rumors. This stuff is just a great media ploy.Trust Me.

I am a Goverment Intelligence Operator Blackberry User and I have some friends who has some firends and this stuff is going to smooth over just fine.

Wait and see.

marc996miami 12-23-2005 11:32 AM

Good man thanks alot...I guess we are all ok all I can say is no more phones for me Crackberry all the way and my new HBH-610 SE Headset!