BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New BES user is getting "updating inbox" in Outlook (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=193401)

TimohBB 06-11-2009 08:52 PM

New BES user is getting "updating inbox" in Outlook

CIO had a bad Storm, so went to Verizon and had it replaced.
Deleted his account on the BES server and recreated him and set activation password. all proceeded normally then he calls me as says he is not getting any emails to his blackberry and his Outlook is saying on the bottom "updating inbox, 250mb remaing eta 2 hrs" or something to that affect.

is this normal or what is it doing?

thanks guys!

penguin3107 06-11-2009 08:57 PM

Sounds like he's running Outlook in cached mode and it's populating the offline copy of the mailbox.

Any idea what would cause that? Sounds like something happened on the Outlook/Exchange side.

hdawg 06-12-2009 07:23 AM

+1 for ^. Doesn't sounds BES related at all.

TargetIT 06-12-2009 10:41 AM

Yeah, that can happen if the profile gets corrupted and the ost file is missing in the new profile. Then again, you have to set Outlook up again...

nobody7290 06-13-2009 05:58 AM

But then, the user still should get mail on the BB, even, if the local offline copy of outlook has a problem.
Also, if you have outlook connected to a network where the Exchange server is located, it will not take 2hrs for 250MB.

Still, looks not related to the BES system.

stuwhite 06-14-2009 05:37 AM

Is there a good Storm? Before I crushed my Storm, I couldn't work out why slow sync was taking all day and (separately I thought) my whole outlook experience seemed worse than normal. Turns out the Stormie was helpfully creating a new copy EVERY calendar entry for me every now and again. I suspected Exchange for a while then when I discovered tens of thousands of dupes in my calendar, I realised it was the Storm. Smashed it up, spent hours cleaning my cal, moved to a Bold and never looked back.

Granted the OP's case could be pure Exchange/Outlook/Network but like in my case, it could be that the Storm is messing with things it shouldn't be, causing the mailbox to be overly-busy and the client to reflect that. Bin the Storm, verify the mbx looks good and see what happens with a different BB.

hdawg 06-17-2009 01:45 PM

good storm = a storm with the newest available OS.

stuwhite 06-18-2009 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdawg (Post 1408299)
good storm = a storm with the newest available OS.

That was the problem. Vodafone were well behind the releases and I while I can put anything on there usually, as the only Storm user I had to keep it carrier-compliant. I "upgraded" to a Bold, such a shame coz the Storm is a fantastic idea.

hdawg 06-18-2009 08:45 AM

... why do you have to keep it carrier compliant?

stuwhite 06-18-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdawg (Post 1408978)
... why do you have to keep it carrier compliant?

Coz it was being used for a doing stuff with the carrier, and when they spotted non-standard firmware on it they started to cry 8-)

hdawg 06-18-2009 08:55 AM

Are you trying to woo the carrier ... so you actually care that they cry?

2 Roofie Colada's and you're all set.

stuwhite 06-18-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdawg (Post 1408993)
Are you trying to woo the carrier ... so you actually care that they cry?

2 Roofie Colada's and you're all set.

LOL, if I thought drugs would have any effect on VF I would try. They are all pretty zombed-out as it is 8-). At the time we had them doing stuff for us and the first thing they do is check that the devices they are using are at the lastest VF firmware level. Saw my Storm and cried 8-). Mind you I cried when I used it.

hdawg 06-18-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuwhite (Post 1408996)
...Mind you I cried when I used it.

Exactly! I'm just trying to keep you from crying ... couldn't care less about a carrier :razz:

stuwhite 06-18-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdawg (Post 1409028)
Exactly! I'm just trying to keep you from crying ... couldn't care less about a carrier :razz:

LOL but I couldn't update it so I just drove over it instead. Not really, just gave it to one of the minions 8-).