BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Storm 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=184749)

ghamden 04-06-2009 05:40 PM

Storm 2

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2009/0...-in-september/

SlashGear
http://www.slashgear.com/blackberry-...-wifi-0640236/

I wonder if they will fix all the Issues with Version One or if were lucky they will let us upgrade for full price

The original storms won't even be a year old

Jacobsaby 04-06-2009 06:14 PM

Well..I knew the storm was a competitor for the iPhone..not a f'ing identical twin lol.. I just got my storm like a month ago dammit.

ElusiveAura 04-06-2009 07:58 PM

lol and you know what? I'll be there to buy it because I did the same thing with the Ipod Touch. Bought 1st generation, 2nd gen came out and out came the credit card lol.

akosnitzky 04-06-2009 08:40 PM

Interesting if it does indeed happen within the timeline

skeevecr 04-06-2009 09:04 PM

Odds are that storm 2 will turn up a year after the storm, verizon are going to want it in the shops before the holidays just like the storm so why would they want it in september, especially with the niagara turning up before then as well this year.

NJBlackBerry 04-06-2009 09:11 PM

Get your Storm 2 Petition ready.

Drillbit 04-06-2009 09:43 PM

I have doubts about a Storm 2. The current design seems good enough as it is, for a while. Usually the driving factor is a balance between a large screen but with limits due to handling. I would say the current Storm design hits a bulls eye on this. The most likely things about the Storm is increased HSPA band support like 850 for the US and maybe Wifi support. They will increase the value through software upgrades and more apps.

And even if the Storm 2 comes out, it would be at best, evolutionary changes, kind of like the iPhone between the first and second generations.

The real question is whether that push click screen technology the Storm pioneered is worth keeping, compared to a much simpler, solid screen with haptic audio feedback.

The lack of Wifi on the 9530 and 9500 Storms are clear loser decisions.

Personally I think we will see more Storm variants down the line: 9510 and 9520.

MERK350Z 04-06-2009 10:54 PM

if the only add on is wifi then i would not buy one. i mean alot of people who do like to have wifi on there phone would also like VOIP but blackberry does not have that yet. also one major issue with the storm is the lag no matter what OS upgrade you do it still shows up .

stricni 04-06-2009 11:52 PM

just like every new data device, although it is very tempting to buy it just wait and see how the storm 2 end up working, i would not want to see another disaster. they launched the storm way before it was ready. :)

Drillbit 04-07-2009 02:16 AM

I have not seen any device that was launched perfect from the get go, unless they're some evolution of a previous device. The iPhone certainly had its quirks when it was launched. The Bold wasn't that much of a departure from the previous platforms, the Storm was, and quickly had its issues. Nokia and Symbian's first time jump to the touch screen had its issues on both the Nokia tablet (N810) and the S60 on the 5800.

Having another version of the Storm or a Storm 2 should not be something to worry about since its all evolutionary anyway.

SteveO86 04-07-2009 06:53 AM

It will be interesting to see if it happens.. I'm more interested to see how successful wifi is, hopefully it is something VZW will start implementing.

Or this could be a late April Fool's joke lol.

Hanwei 04-07-2009 08:34 AM

I'm not sure why a lot of people are upset/surprised by a Storm 2 coming out "so soon" after the first one.

I mean... the way technology has been going... back in the late 90's the electronic device you just purchased was obsolete by the next year. Nowadays, the electronic device you just purchased will be obsolete in a couple of months.

It's just how it goes. :)

NJBlackBerry 04-07-2009 09:13 AM

At the same time Verizon has historically been much slower to release new phones than other carriers. That could account for the surprise. And the next Verizon BlackBerry with WiFi will, of course, be the first.

Hanwei 04-07-2009 09:50 AM

True... but this isn't really a "new" phone... it's just the Storm with WiFi. :)

jsconyers 04-07-2009 10:09 AM

True, but as NJ stated, WiFi has been available on other BB devices for a while now. This will be the first Verizon BB with WiFi. That is the surprise factor.

NJBlackBerry 04-07-2009 10:18 AM

Any bets on when the "Verizon cripples WiFi" threads start ;-)

Hanwei 04-07-2009 10:22 AM

hehehe...

rickthornton 04-07-2009 04:51 PM

Wifi - My take

As an owner of an Ipod Touch, there are only a few things in my opinion that Wifi dramatically improves over a good 3G signal. File sharing on a home network is nice, Youtube is a little better. I can sit side by side with the Storm and the Ipod (on a pretty fast home network) and websites load about the same speed. Like it has been said many times, processor speed seems to matter as much as bandwidth on these mobile devices. For people worried about the data cap, Wifi could help.

Of course on the negative, Wifi is a battery killer. Also, unlike a robust home or business wireless network, public and hotel Wifi speeds are often little better (or not even as good as 3G speeds).

Would I like to have the option to turn on Wifi for certain situations, sure. Do I think it will be the "end all to be all", not really.

CO_BBTechie 04-07-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1345034)
Any bets on when the "Verizon cripples WiFi" threads start ;-)

Except for use at Verizon Hot Spots? :razz:

TheBigNewt 04-07-2009 06:41 PM

Vzn has stubbornly held out for no WiFi for a long time with no good reason to give us folks. None. Hey, it's 2009, hello you bozos. People have "routers" now, they want faster browsing than your pretty slow service provides. 3G? Uh huh try this(n). So they pretty much have to cave in and do WiFi otherwise some people will start heading for the exits. Their "call any Vzn person free" schtick is real old now. Now they're pumping My Faves like Tmob. The clickscreen on the storm needs work too, they know that. They may ditch it and go with the iPhone model (why not?). I think they are smart to come out with a Storm2 really soon. If they were nice they'd credit the Storm1 people who upgrade but knowing Vzn they'll hose you......:x