BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   WES 2009 Planning (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=161586)

Frank Castle 11-25-2008 08:32 PM

WES 2009 Planning

Well I heard this week all training budgets got whacked. I didn't get a no on WES yet but I'm starting to make alternate plans (and foot the bill on my own if needed)

Worse case is I'd be willing to split the room with someone.

May isn't that far away.

DarthBBerry 11-26-2008 02:31 PM

Dude, I hear ya. My training budget is in danger too. WES is supposed to be one of the top 3 because of what I've brought back the past few years, but it doesn't look good at the moment. Would be a shame to miss it though. I've learned a bunch and applied that knowledge in the workplace. Definately worth the money in my opinion.

juwaack68 11-26-2008 02:41 PM

I am not counting on getting approval to go. I will probably ask in January, but my company has been doing a lot of cost cutting (including cutting back on BlackBerry devices - GASP!) so I'm thinking the answer will be a big fat no.

DarthBBerry 11-26-2008 03:17 PM

Speaking of WES, WES 2009 is updated with 2009 info.
Pricing, etc

Jadey 11-27-2008 01:50 PM

If you think you'll find it hard to get approval, try chucking in the cost of a flight from London, too!

jibi 11-27-2008 07:56 PM

I would harp on the fact that this would be free training for BES 5.0, assuming the dates being thrown around end up being correct (history is not on RIM's side). I would say that the May timeframe would be where most of us will be comfortable with the 'lab rats' doing their early installs and preparing for some sort of deployment in our own environments (test or production). I think this is the WES we were expecting last year (in which we got more faces, less prizes, and basically the same WES as the previous year ...and no apology from RIM for the lack of new material).

AlanM 11-28-2008 12:56 PM

No indication from where I am that travel and training will be trimmed. My only fear is I will be covered up with other projects. We're still handing out BBs like crack.

Pinjo 11-30-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jletendre (Post 1183471)
Worse case is I'd be willing to split the room with someone.

J,

If I can get my boss to approve the conference fee, I'll pay for the rest myself. I can get a govt rate on a room (even though those are rare), so I'll keep you in mind.

And Jibi, you are right about the training on 5.0, but unless RIM would guarantee a release date close to WES, I'd think many people would be hard pressed to get approval. Since a large majority of the attendees are Sys Admins and architects, WES needs to get more technical. I'm not as advanced or dedicated to the BES as some of you out there, but the technical sessions did not do anything for me. I want something that I cannot find on here or in the BBTSC.

I learned a lot last year, but being my first WES, I had seen a number of those presentations from free technical seminars before. In fact, I presented at CA World a couple of weeks ago and there was a session about mobility with a RIM rep. I had already seen his Powerpoint presentation several times before.

Frank Castle 12-01-2008 08:00 PM

I would love a "admin" round table to have a group with similar environements to talk about issues / ideas etc. I did feel many of the sessions were "canned" and sales pitch focused vs. indepth information. There were a handful that I found interesting (if nothing more then being amused by what people asked).

Perhaps a Admin track level I and II would be better.

TreeDude 12-02-2008 10:39 AM

Looks like I may be going to WES after all. I just submitted all the pricing for the budget, hopefully it doesn't get cut.

wunderbar 12-03-2008 04:58 PM

I don't have a hope of going. With the Canadian dollar now at 80 cents, the trip will cost about 20% more this year, and with the stupid amount of cuts going on right now I highly doubt I'll get approval for a nearly $2500 4 day trip.

Too bad too, because I really enjoyed last year, and was really, really looking forward to the BES 5.0 stuff.

I do have tentative approval for WES 2010 though, but that's a long way away and things can change.

DarthBBerry 12-17-2008 02:47 PM

Woo HOO!!! Just got my approval to go!!
Gonna start making flight reservations... already got the hotel booked.

GO GO ME!

TreeDude 12-17-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthBBerry (Post 1213269)
Woo HOO!!! Just got my approval to go!!
Gonna start making flight reservations... already got the hotel booked.

GO GO ME!

Didn't you try and get the hotel booked for 09 while at 08? :razz: I hope mine doesn't get cut, but our budget is still in flux right now. I probably won't know until January 3rd.

DarthBBerry 12-17-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreeDude (Post 1213299)
Didn't you try and get the hotel booked for 09 while at 08? :razz: I hope mine doesn't get cut, but our budget is still in flux right now. I probably won't know until January 3rd.

I booked the hotel about 2 weeks after WES '08 for 5/3 - 5/9. Reserved it on my personal credit card. Once the WES discount is announced, I'll call the Marriott, give them my confirmation number and change it to the WES rate.

TreeDude 12-17-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthBBerry (Post 1213306)
I booked the hotel about 2 weeks after WES '08 for 5/3 - 5/9. Reserved it on my personal credit card. Once the WES discount is announced, I'll call the Marriott, give them my confirmation number and change it to the WES rate.

Nice. I hope I get to go...

DarthBBerry 12-17-2008 05:36 PM

Flight done; landing in Orlando @ 9:am

NeptuneIT 12-23-2008 11:30 AM

I'll be there this year as well. I called to reserve a room this morning and they said they were none available. The WES block of rooms won't be opened for 2 more weeks so they said to call back then. We'll see...

onlinetyler 12-29-2008 02:57 PM

I'll be there too!! I just got approval. I tried to get a hotel room as well, however they were booked. Hopefully I can get one of the WES rooms. I actually camped a few miles away in my camper last year and had a blast doing it, but hopefully won't have to this year!

spiggy 12-30-2008 05:32 AM

5.0 training on WES

I'm filling in my application for WES today. All my hopes are on the release of 5.0 and upgrade/training tracks on the topic. My company has cut budgets too, but I've got an approval for the budget to do the upgrade (manweeks).

I was invited the last two years by a vendor but wasn't allowed to go. This year, I'll take a week off if I get a no from my company...

mahal721 01-07-2009 02:32 PM

I'm hoping attend my 4th WES this year. My boss gave the go-ahead, but who knows if this expense gets denied a few months from now.