BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   8220 - Attract New Demographic (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=154584)

Shaun 10-13-2008 08:30 AM

8220 - Attract New Demographic

So I read the post on BGR this morning about the 8220 being released by TMobile, and one thing really stuck with me. "the Pearl Flip is going to take the cell phone market for 13-year old girls by storm" may have been a flippant remark, but it got me thinking. Is this the intent of RIM? Is this device any more appealing to teens than a Pearl or a Curve? Does the price push it to the younger demographic rather than form factor?

Discuss.

test54 10-13-2008 08:41 AM

I think its aimed at the people that might want a blackberry/smartphone but refuse to go to anything but a flip phone. I know several people that have flips because their phones take a good amount of abuse and the flip protects them (they don't want cases).
I do think its a consumer type device and might compete with the pearl but will draw in a lot of the above mentioned customers.

ezrunner 10-13-2008 08:42 AM

The price point is higher than I expected for a consumer oriented device. particularly if pointed at tweens/teens

JSanders 10-13-2008 08:52 AM

RIM is intent on selling more devices, or attracting a larger demographic?

Wow, I thought were in this biz just to service smaller segments of the demographic.

Does anyone think they might actually be trying to make money as a business?

/sarcasm

Shaun 10-13-2008 09:23 AM

@JSanders - My post was not saying anything bad about targeting a new demographic or selling more devices, of course that's the ultimate goal. What puzzles me is, I don't see how this could be the goal of the 8220, neither the price or form factor say "teen" to me, especially when the initial offering is in black.

JSanders 10-13-2008 09:30 AM

Oh my sarcasm was just made in general, not at your comments.

Shaun 10-13-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1134639)
Oh my sarcasm was just made in general, not at your comments.

Ohh, well then my @JSanders was not aimed at you, it was toward everyone.

:oops:

TBOLTRAM 10-13-2008 01:35 PM

Me thinks that people associate flip phones with the original Star Trek TV series. Works for me.

Mjolnir31 10-13-2008 06:30 PM

I'm sorry, I hate flip phones, they can be broken too easily. More moving parts=more things to be broken. But then again, that's me and how I am. 13 yr. old girls don't think that way, so I'm sure plenty of them will have daddy buy then one. Which they will then make daddy buy them another BB in 2-3 yrs.

ifonline 10-13-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjolnir31 (Post 1135254)
IWhich they will then make daddy buy them another BB in 2-3 yrs.

2-3 years? Good gosh, I buy phones for myself more often than that!

teamcrn 10-13-2008 06:48 PM

I think the new samsung that is released 11/17 will grab the teen segment. Most of our teens that get pearls or sidekicks want it for texting not really email. the samsung will capture that audience since it has a full keyboard and doesnt require any type of data package just texting. All that said i think the flip design will do well in the market and help Rim expand its subscriber base.