BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Best gmail option? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=137144)

flag8r77 06-26-2008 03:05 PM

Best gmail option?

What is the best option for me to get my gmail on my blackberry? Getting it forwarded or using the gmail app?

Also, what is the difference in setting up my gmail account under email setup on the phone or forwarding to my blackberry email account on the gmail webpage?
Thanks, using Tmobile.

honza 06-26-2008 03:08 PM

Hi,

I am using the Gmail application.
It does not merge with my company emails.
I like it better.

gibber9583 06-26-2008 03:20 PM

use BIS to get it pushed to you.

CO_BBTechie 06-26-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flag8r77 (Post 989145)
What is the best option for me to get my gmail on my blackberry? Getting it forwarded or using the gmail app?

Also, what is the difference in setting up my gmail account under email setup on the phone or forwarding to my blackberry email account on the gmail webpage?
Thanks, using Tmobile.

There are usually a couple variables that come into play. For some, it's a matter of preference and/or convenience. I prefer knowing when an email arrives, not finding that out when I get around to opening the Gmail app. If in fact the app notifies you of a new message, I'm not aware of it as I don't keep that app open in the background.

I use the Gmail app on my phone only when I need to look up an archived message, which I cannot do outside of that app.

Forwarding your email to your BB account creates, in my opinion, an unnecessary leg in the trip to your device. BIS will poll your Gmail and forward any new messages as they arrive, albeit slower than push but I think it's still more efficient than forwarding, forwarding....

BCollins521 06-26-2008 03:56 PM

Wirelessly posted

Yea the best way is use the email setup to have it just pull it from your gmail account. What you are going to want to do though is log into my.tmobile and set up a filter under communication tools on your gmail account to not forward any messgaes from you so when you send a email you don't get it in your bb inbox. Unless you want that

gibber9583 06-26-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie (Post 989160)
There are usually a couple variables that come into play. For some, it's a matter of preference and/or convenience. I prefer knowing when an email arrives, not finding that out when I get around to opening the Gmail app. If in fact the app notifies you of a new message, I'm not aware of it as I don't keep that app open in the background.

I use the Gmail app on my phone only when I need to look up an archived message, which I cannot do outside of that app.

Forwarding your email to your BB account creates, in my opinion, an unnecessary leg in the trip to your device. BIS will poll your Gmail and forward any new messages as they arrive, albeit slower than push but I think it's still more efficient than forwarding, forwarding....

BIS will not poll gmail. Gmail has great integration with BIS and will be pushed to your BBerry nearly instantly.

CO_BBTechie 06-26-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibber9583 (Post 989260)
BIS will not poll gmail. Gmail has great integration with BIS and will be pushed to your BBerry nearly instantly.

{Cough, cough} Do you use Gmail via BIS and do you get nearly instant delivery? I don't. And no, it's unlikely that it's my fault. I've deleted, re-created, massaged, and otherwise coerced my BIS accounts to no avail. Once in a while I'll get "JIT" delivery, but not very often.

I did not however, know that Gmail was so integrated with BIS that they could speak to each other without BIS asking Gmail; "Got anything for me?"

tonj 06-26-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie (Post 989267)
{Cough, cough} Do you use Gmail via BIS and do you get nearly instant delivery? I don't. And no, it's unlikely that it's my fault. I've deleted, re-created, massaged, and otherwise coerced my BIS accounts to no avail. Once in a while I'll get "JIT" delivery, but not very often.

I did not however, know that Gmail was so integrated with BIS that they could speak to each other without BIS asking Gmail; "Got anything for me?"

I agree.

Dawg 06-26-2008 05:28 PM

I get instant gmail everytime through BIS I used to use my ISP mailbox but have recently changed to gmail as my priority email account just for that reason alone.

jevid 06-26-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

I use Gmail via BIS and I get notified instantly, I would say 99% of the time. That said, I also have the Gmail app on my phone because sometimes it is handy. It comes down to preference. Try both methods and see what works for you.

babsblackberry 06-26-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

When you setup the account through BIS, did you choose IMAP or POP. Originally I setup my gmail account with IMAP and found that the emails were not being delivered instantly, once I changed the settings to pop, the emails were coming through immediately - 99% of the time.

djm2 06-26-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Gmail arrives nearly as quickly as BES email.

Fate 06-26-2008 06:16 PM

I use the email feature that was loaded onto my blackberry from the factory to get my gmail emails. I have no problems and love that it actually tells me when I have an email.

fftonyb 06-26-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibber9583 (Post 989260)

That's how I use my gmail and it works perfectly.

curtst 06-26-2008 07:28 PM

I get my gmail pushed to my BB. The problem with the gmail app is you can't attach files to it, otherwise I would probably use it instead.

Dawg 06-26-2008 07:30 PM

curtst why would you use that app instead? I am just curious

zerog46 06-26-2008 07:39 PM

I also use the BIS for Gmail, which comes in almost instantly...

I have always wondered why some people use the app...

Concept 06-26-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

{Cough, cough} Do you use Gmail via BIS and do you get nearly instant delivery?

[Cough, Cough] Yes I do. If its not instant, than its within 5 seconds the most.

The Gmail app is best used for searching for messages. Within the app you can search, star, archive, delete, move to different labels, and almost everything else you can do from your laptop.

The only thing that sucks from the Gmail BIS option is that all your emails are still unread when you log into gmail on your computer.

Dawg 06-26-2008 08:37 PM

i never even visit my gmail account anymore

Concept 06-26-2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 989626)
i never even visit my gmail account anymore

My wife doesn't either. I don't think she reads most of her emails anyway. But every once in a while I'll log into her gmail account and mark all her emails as "read".

I log into my gmail almost daily. I send a lot of stuff from viigo and other links that I find online to my gmail account so I can view them properly. Until BB has a solid HTML email option, I will probably log into my account almost daily. I have empower but its really not worth it to view messages like that. I'm glad I only paid like $10 for it.